• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Volume Shell Method Help. Past HSC Question 1984 (1 Viewer)

trantheman

HSC
So basically I came across this question and I obtained the part i) (a), but the other two questions/parts I couldn't get. Could anyone help me out here, please???

hsc 1984.JPG

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The principle to be used is:

If f(x) is an even function, i.e. f(-x) = f(x), then if you rotate the bum-shaped region about y = b say, then:

where 'A' is the area of half a bum (part (b) is to show this).

You can now apply this principle to a circle radius 'r Bearing in mind, that the upper semi-circle, radius 'r' and centred at the origin. The upper semi-circle: , which is an even function, if we rotate this semi-circle about x=s or x= -s, we get a volume of . When you apply same to lower semi-circle you get the same volume. Combining the two, you get the volume of the torus = (??)

Last edited:

trantheman

HSC
The principle to be used is:

If f(x) is an even function, i.e. f(-x) = f(x), then if you rotate the bum-shaped region about y = b say, then:

where 'A' is the area of half a bum (part (b) is to show this).

You can now apply this principle to a circle radius 'r Bearing in mind, that the upper semi-circle, radius 'r' and centred at the origin. The upper semi-circle: , which is an even function, if we rotate this semi-circle about x=s or x= -s, we get a volume of . When you apply same to lower semi-circle you get the same volume. Combining the two, you get the volume of the torus = (??)
So how is it that you would show part b) and thanks for the reply as well as the help for part c) :) :)?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Consider 2 vertical strips, one at x = -t and the other at x = t, each of thickness , which will generate a shell of volumes, as shown, when rotated about x = -s.

Last edited:

trantheman

HSC
Consider 2 vertical strips, one at x = -t and the other at x = t, each of thickness , which will generate a shell of volumes, as shown, when rotated about x = -s.

Thank you so much for the help. It was much appreciated :) :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)