• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Wait a year or straight on to Uni after HSC? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
You can only see the world if you have the money to do so... I for one would not have enjoyed a year of working in a supermarket or something similar just for the sake of a 'break' that I did not need. Going straight from school to uni was my only real option.

Leap

free falling
HSC
melancolley said:
I've heard too many old people regret not going and seeing the world. The sad fact is, you'll go straight from uni to full-time work every year of your life until you're 65 and get the sack because you're too old and decrepit to keep up with the the slightly younger sad bastards you work with till you end up wishing you'd taken that damn year off to go and see the world while you still could. So take a year off!
Generator said:
You can only see the world if you have the money to do so... I for one would not have enjoyed a year of working in a supermarket or something similar just for the sake of a 'break' that I did not need. Going straight from school to uni was my only real option.
I agree with Generator, for lots of people the reality is that they don't have the money to see the world. And, depending on what job you're aiming for after uni, there are always opportunities to work overseas anyway, which is what I'm planning to do, in addition to doing a world trip.

HSC
What's so good about seeing the world anyway? I have a tv, and unlike a plane the chance of it crashing and killing me are minimal!

On a marginally more serious note though, like I said a long time ago on this thread, if you're keen to get stuck into Uni, and your financial situation allows it, then go right ahead :) If you're doubtful, or can't make it just yet for whatever reason, then I guess it's a good idea to wait and see, or talk to people to help you decide, there's really not much more to it than that :)

Actually maybe there is! With HECS (H.E.L.P. if you prefer) unlikely to start decreasing in the near future, maybe everyone should bum-rush Universities Australia-wide in order to beat the cost increases :)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Generator said:
well, yes, i guess it depends on how much you really want to travel. two of my friends have been saving since year 8 (about 7 years now) and are now overseas for a year, cavorting around and having the time of their lives.

i am also very keen on travelling so i work 5/6 days a week on top of uni to try and save money to get outta here in a year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)