• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

WAM and GenEds (1 Viewer)

meyero

HSC
I have seen a few posts which suggest that the first number of the course code gives the weighting for that course in your WAM.

Does this apply for gened's as well??

It seems crazy if it does because at the moment i am doing Gens6033 which means that it has a weighting of 6 and considering it is worth 3 credit points this means that it is worth 3 times more 2 my WAM than my first year subjects which were a lot more work!!!

gman03

HSC
meyero said:
I have seen a few posts which suggest that the first number of the course code gives the weighting for that course in your WAM.

It seems crazy if it does because at the moment i am doing Gens6033 which means that it has a weighting of 6 and considering it is worth 3 credit points this means that it is worth 3 times more 2 my WAM than my first year subjects which were a lot more work!!!
Usually Gened is given a weighting of Year 1.

This is true for Engineering Degree anyway.

asdf

HSC
elfm said:
For civil engineering it's worth 2x.
Why is that? Do civil engineers find geneds harder or something? :p

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
meyero said:

Im doing GEN6033 atm too.

But i didnt know its weighted at 6 ? :confused:

To calc the WAM, you'll still look at the UOC that you've done in total...?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
Im doing GEN6033 atm too.

But i didnt know its weighted at 6 ? :confused:

To calc the WAM, you'll still look at the UOC that you've done in total...?
I think some faculties weight their higher year courses greater than first year courses. They don't do that for Faculty of Commerce

meyero

HSC
Ok now i'm really confused, Minai are you saying that my first-year commerce courses are equally weighted in my WAM to my third year commerce courses?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
meyero said:
Ok now i'm really confused, Minai are you saying that my first-year commerce courses are equally weighted in my WAM to my third year commerce courses?
Yes.
Why do you think it gets harder and harder to lift your WAM as you go along....not to mention the diminishing amount of UOC you have left. :)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I think some faculties weight their higher year courses greater than first year courses. They don't do that for Faculty of Commerce
Does anyone know which faculties does weight their higher year courses greater? Say if you take a degree in a faculty that weight higher year courses greater, and you choose subjects that is offered by another faculty that doesn't do that, then what happens?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
Does anyone know which faculties does weight their higher year courses greater? Say if you take a degree in a faculty that weight higher year courses greater, and you choose subjects that is offered by another faculty that doesn't do that, then what happens?
for your nss wam the level of the course is irrelevant
in engineering for their own wam (the one which determines honors level etc) they weight higher courses higher

the weight is applied on which year you should take the course in their approved course plan (so if you did elec2031 in first year session 2, it would still count 2x weighting for your engineering honors wam because in ee its got a 2x weighting)

"you choose subjects that is offered by another faculty that doesn't do that, then what happens" it goes by the school your enrolled in, why would they give a shit what other schools did? (school of ee&t wouldnt care if phys didnt weight by year (but i think they do) ,so if you do em apps (2nd year phys) it would still weight as 2x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)