WAM booster question (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I have to do a gen-ed course and was planning to choose a WAM booster and was wondering about your opinion on this.

If I wanted to graduate with the best WAM possible, would it be better to:
1. Do this course earlier in my program (to boost up my wam in the middle of my program which may potentially drop again from harder courses in the future) OR
2. Do it in the final semester of my program right before graduation with other harder courses (to lift up the supposedly bad marks I would get from these hard courses)?

Thanks!!

D94

HSC
N/A
The main UNSW WAM does not discriminate based on semester or year. It is simply the sum of the weight marks over the sum of the weighted units.

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/WAM.html

So it would make no difference whether you did it now or later (in absolute terms). However, one might say if you have 4 hard courses in your final semester, then it might ease pressure on 3 if you do a gen ed. But you can't really predict that - anything could happen. One might also say if you do your gen ed now with relatively easy subjects, you could do very well in it (i.e. above 90) and that would balance out any poor units.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
as far as i know - employers etc would rather see your grades improve over time rather than decline. also assuming this will be an easy subject, it would be good to do it later to take the stress off the workload of later years. but i guess if you want to boost your wam to transfer or get into something that needs a good wam then you should do it earlier

pick something you're interested in though!!

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't think employers will see your final semester marks (for graduate programs) since all that happens around early in semester 1 of your final year.

Marks can only improve by so much. If you are averaging saying 82 in a semester, you would be hard pressed to improve that. Obviously if the marks are in the 70s, then it may be expected that you improve.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
so i should do my gen-ed+level 2 courses earlier rather than ease the difficulty at the end with gen-ed+level 3 courses?
Oh yeah by the way, I am planning to overload with this gen-ed as my 5th course!

Thanks.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
My overloading options right now, so I want to know which combo will most likely lead to the greatest WAM when i graduate assuming these are the last three semesters:

Option 1:
ACCT2542
LEGT2741
INFS1602
MARK2052
SUPPOSEDLY EASY GEN-ED COURSE

Option 2:
ACCT2522
ACCT3563 (1/2)
LEGT2751
MARK3054

option 3:
ACCT3708
ACCT3583
MARK2084
MARK3082

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
If you are overloading, then I recommend putting it with the easier courses. You might underestimate a gen ed, even if it's online only or there's only 3 hours or whatever. You might underestimate the content or assessments, so you don't want to end up in that position where you are overloaded with assessments or you can't keep up in your actual courses for Commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)