• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

WAM calculations (1 Viewer)

Amayataiyou

HSC
I started at UNSW this year and have a few questions about WAM calculations. Do we get a WAM every semester, and a final WAM at the end of the course which is the average of all the WAMS? and if we do a double degree, do we get a separate WAM for each degree or a combined WAM? Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
I started at UNSW this year and have a few questions about WAM calculations. Do we get a WAM every semester, and a final WAM at the end of the course which is the average of all the WAMS?
You get a Term WAM (i.e. each semester), a cumulative WAM (i.e. the WAM of all your courses up until that point), which will turn into a final cumulative WAM (i.e. overall WAM when you finish your degree).

It's not an average of your WAMs. It's a WAM that takes into account all your courses and the number of UOC per course. For example, if you did 30 UOC in one semester and 24 UOC in another, you cannot just average the two WAMs because those two WAMs are weighted differently (i.e. different number of UOC).

and if we do a double degree, do we get a separate WAM for each degree or a combined WAM? Thanks
Combined on your transcript.

Amayataiyou

HSC
Thanks for the detailed reply @D94 really helpful. Just one last question, lets say someone does science/commerce and is applying for a job in something business related, is the employer able to access the separate marks that person got in both commerce and science, or do they only have access to that combined WAM on the transcript. Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the detailed reply @D94 really helpful. Just one last question, lets say someone does science/commerce and is applying for a job in something business related, is the employer able to access the separate marks that person got in both commerce and science, or do they only have access to that combined WAM on the transcript. Thanks
They could since all courses and marks are listed, but there aren't two separate totals - they would have to do the calculations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)