WAM for Honours (1 Viewer)

J

juvekickass

Hey guys...I'm just wondering what WAM I will need to guarantee a place in any BABS honours program? My WAM is currently 72 i've got 4 more semesters to go, and I've been told i need at least a WAM of 85 to do any kind of honours program.

Is it also true that all the supervisors only take ONE student each? That would mean only 20-30 places per year!!

Since I'm doing a double degree with commerce, do the supervisors only look at the WAM based on my Science subjects? Or my Commerce and Science subjects altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys...I'm just wondering what WAM I will need to guarantee a place in any BABS honours program? My WAM is currently 72 i've got 4 more semesters to go, and I've been told i need at least a WAM of 85 to do any kind of honours program.
The min. WAM requirement is 65 (Credit). The higher your WAM, the more competitive you are in getting your desired supervisor/project. :)

Is it also true that all the supervisors only take ONE student each? That would mean only 20-30 places per year!!
A supervisor will usually take 1 student a year because there is so much work involved. However, some supervisors may take more than 1.

Since I'm doing a double degree with commerce, do the supervisors only look at the WAM based on my Science subjects? Or my Commerce and Science subjects altogether?
Your supervisor will have access to your entire transcript. However, you will only be judged on your Science WAM.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
How many students want to do honours each year anyway?

TBH, you don't want a supervisor who has lots of honours students, as they won't be able to help you much, and you'll be left to flounder on your own.

Survivor, how competitive is it to get into honours in BABS anyway? (I get the impression that it is a lot harder than in maths.)

J

juvekickass

i heard about a dude who got 92 WAM for B Science and he didnt make it.

I'm looking at other postgraduate options now...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Survivor, how competitive is it to get into honours in BABS anyway? (I get the impression that it is a lot harder than in maths.)
The School of BABS is one of the largest school in the unviersity. It takes about 70 Honours students a year, these students have a wide range of interests including Microbiology and Immunology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics and Biotechnology. Not all 70 are based in BABS - some of these work in labs within the Prince of Wales Hospital and Garvan.

The fact that so many students apply means that if you want your first preference your WAM needs to be competitive. On the other hand, because they accept 70 students and if you don't care what project you end up getting, I suspect 65 should be enough to at least get in.

Last edited:
J

juvekickass

i swear its true. Thats why I got really freaked out.

Tim035

HSC
In Med Sci, 44 students were accepted for honors this year, but almost half are completing it at hospitals and institutions outside of the uni.

Also, to be denied honors with a 92 WAM, that kid must of made a really, really, really bad impression on the supervisor he was trying to get.

J

juvekickass

Also, to be denied honors with a 92 WAM, that kid must of made a really, really, really bad impression on the supervisor he was trying to get.
You know what, I think you might be right...he was an pompous arrogant lil' wanker haha.

I was wrong - he didnt get his FIRST choice. He got in eventually...

HSC

zomg - where did you hear this from? It really is not that hard to get into honors. I'm pretty sure a WAM of 60 + specialty subjects + your supervisor liking you would guarantee any place in honours.

And also; the project choices are always changing as science moves directions pretty quickly and what the supervisor thinks will be the best way to get a publication...

rx34

HSC
How important is the role of a supervisor for honours? Does it matter if you pick anyone from the hat?

Placydica

HSC
Hey,

I had the very same question as you did so i asked some of the lecturers and past honours students about it.

The lecturers said NO you don't have to get incredibly high marks, but you do have to be first to approach them when honours positions are advertised. WAM is preferable but not necessary, but will become priority when many many students are after the same position.

The honours student i was talking to said that you need above 65 to get into honours. However, if you do well and the lecturers know you (i.e from asking questions in class and sitting in the front in lectures) they will contact you for an honours position. The honours student i asked was approached by multiple lecturers her WAM was 84, she ended up getting first class honours. She also said that your WAM in first year is important but not as relevant as your WAM in 3rd year.

Another student got less than 60 for his WAM's in first and second year, but managed to get D and HD's in third year. His performance in 3rd year got lecturers interested in him and was able to get an Honours position.

Personally i'd say 80+ would probably guarantee you into honours. But i think you'd have a better chance simply making sure the people who are offering the honours positions know you.

This information is relevant for the science faculty, specifically natural sciences.

Hope i helped ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)