WAM, UAI and GPA (1 Viewer)

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Guys im doin pharm at usyd atm, and im thinking to transfer to med, most unis just say they use the "grade" of ur tertiary study, but what grade do they use?, usyd only gives WAM they dont give a GPA, how do u interconvert between GPA, UAI and WAM?.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
anonymus2003 said:
Guys im doin pharm at usyd atm, and im thinking to transfer to med, most unis just say they use the "grade" of ur tertiary study, but what grade do they use?, usyd only gives WAM they dont give a GPA, how do u interconvert between GPA, UAI and WAM?.
there is no surefire way to convert between WAM and GPA.

also, each medicine faculty at different unis would do it differently - ie how much weighting do they put on both your WAM and UAI?

at unsw, they use 50% WAM and 50% UAI to work out your academic performance.

this page (http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Selection_local) has some good info - scroll down to section 1b)

also this section has a bit of info (http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local#OtherDegree)

but the best thing you can do now is to try to boost up your WAM to a good HD at uni, particularly if your UAI was less than 99

hope this helps!

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
ianc said:
there is no surefire way to convert between WAM and GPA.

also, each medicine faculty at different unis would do it differently - ie how much weighting do they put on both your WAM and UAI?

at unsw, they use 50% WAM and 50% UAI to work out your academic performance.

this page (http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Selection_local) has some good info - scroll down to section 1b)

also this section has a bit of info (http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local#OtherDegree)

but the best thing you can do now is to try to boost up your WAM to a good HD at uni, particularly if your UAI was less than 99

hope this helps!
i had a uai of 96, and currently im doing an average raw of ~74-82% sticking in that range for my current scores in each subject, not counting the final exams, its really hard to work out whether thats a D or a HD or just a credit..which is sadly very annoying, ive been told thats a good range to be in with marks since that usually equates to a D average which is around 99 uai equivalent.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
anonymus2003 said:
i had a uai of 96, and currently im doing an average raw of ~74-82% sticking in that range for my current scores in each subject, not counting the final exams, its really hard to work out whether thats a D or a HD or just a credit..which is sadly very annoying, ive been told thats a good range to be in with marks since that usually equates to a D average which is around 99 uai equivalent.
im pretty sure a D would not equate to a 99 UAI equivalent unless it was an insanely hard subject.

but also bear in mind that in many subjects at uni the lecturers fiddle with the raw marks at the end, so even though you have about 75-80 raw now, that could go up or down.

the hardest part about medicine is getting in, it's really not a hugely difficult course. many engineering and science disciplines end up being far more challenging in later years.

anyway if you've got your heart set on med i'm sure you'll get in somehow:)

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
ianc said:
im pretty sure a D would not equate to a 99 UAI equivalent unless it was an insanely hard subject.

but also bear in mind that in many subjects at uni the lecturers fiddle with the raw marks at the end, so even though you have about 75-80 raw now, that could go up or down.

the hardest part about medicine is getting in, it's really not a hugely difficult course. many engineering and science disciplines end up being far more challenging in later years.

thanks ianc:) i duno if its equvalent to 99, i think i remember reading somewhere 96 uai was around 5.5 gpa and that was around 70-72 WAM which is just a high credit..oh well..i hope i did well...chem in pharmacy is way too hard lol (Insanely...i believe 75% of the grade failed..from what everyones telling me..) just too worried tho about scores ah well see how we go. thanks man

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ianc said:

I have to agree with ianc. I am teaching med students at the moment and the stuff they learn is way simpler than what a science student learn. Med is more focused on clinical diagnoses and symptoms, whereas science students learn more about the mechanism of diseases and how pathogens interact with the host.

Good luck with the admission process.

itachi-kun

HSC
From emails I receive from UNSW they don't use WAM. It's solely based on 25% UAI and 75% GPA.

To work out your GPA. Grade = HD = 7, D = 6, C = 5, P = 4, F = 0.

Grade x Credit Points
--------------------------
Sum of Credit Points

Eg. Semester 1 you did 4 subjects each worth 6 credit points each. You obtain 2 D's and 2 C's.

(6+6+5+5) x 6
-------------------- = 5.5 = 91 UAI equivalent.

You need a GPA of 6.5 to get a UAI of 99 equivalent.

Hope this helps.

3li

HSC
N/A
lol i think gpa for me is shit..

ive got heaps of 70-74 and 80-84s,,,

my wam is 80+ but my gpa is around 5.5...... which means a uai of 91...as u said..

wen in fact i got 99+

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Drewbrow1 is correct. UAI does not exemplify or in any way identify what sort of WAM equivalent.

GPA again is different because it uses Acer's grading system. And in Acer's system, the university you come from, determines what grading scale you use. So in its entirety it is different.

UNSW does not admit via the Acer-GMAT way. Rather it uses a system that favours High School leavers and current B Medical Science students. If you wish, you may enroll in UNSW's B Medical Science (highly competitive), then opt for a UNSW Graduate Entry place.

To be honest, its hard to maintain an 85 WAM given each courses' difference in teaching quality, the assessments etc. Some might have assessments that have no final exam whatsoever, and only assignments. In comparison to other courses that have a combination of each.

itachi-kun

HSC
I'm not sure what they'll do with medicine, but in general for other courses applied through UAC its 25% UAI and 75% GPA. All UAC does is send the institution the applicants 'selection rank' composed by UAI and GPA. And the institution choses what they'll use, UTS for instance uses 50/50 of UAI/GPA.

And if you're thinking of doing an alternate path into medicine via medical science it is in fact competitive, if you read the pdf they have on their site they only offer 15 places for medical science students if I recall correctly.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
itachi-kun said:
And if you're thinking of doing an alternate path into medicine via medical science it is in fact competitive, if you read the pdf they have on their site they only offer 15 places for medical science students if I recall correctly.
Yes it is competitive. But at least there are 15 places more than if you are not doing MedSc.

diamond*dreams*

d[-_-]b . . <3 music
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Yes it is competitive. But at least there are 15 places more than if you are not doing MedSc.
I've been told (don't know if it's true), although they say 15 places from the med sci cohort, it's up to the discretion of the committee (or whoever has the power to chose students) to decide how many actually get through, like they might only chose 9 people.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
As to whether there will be more/less than 15 students being chosen for Med entry I am not too sure. But it wouldn't hurt to apply considering it is one extra alternative route for med entry compared with non-MedSc students. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)