Want a fool proof way of achieving band 5/6 English results? (1 Viewer)

Pierotte

HSC
Take note the 5 time rule.

For every text you are given in to study for your HSC you should be looking at reading/watching it a minimum of 5 times.

This is not as hard as it sounds.
The more times you go through a text the easier it gets.

if you have a certain purpose each time you go through a text it makes it less intimidating rather that trying to absorb everything in one hit!

This is the easiest way to get good results.

I have seen WAY to many students complain that they
1) Dont understand their texts
2) Find them too boring

Simply follow this guide when viewing your texts.

It will aid understanding and prevent boredom, as you are not simply going through a text, you are going through it with a purpose.

1- Read/Watch text once on your own to simply get a first impression of the text.
Basically watch/read it for pleasure, not as if it is a HSC text.
Write down your first impressions,
These are your own individual thoughts and will make you stand out from the other HSC students who are simply analysing the given text how their teacher told them to, or how they think BOS wants them to.
Your own views are priceless.

2-Read/Watch text a second time to further strengthen your impressions.
This time also try link up your views to the syllabus
Make sure you thourally understand the syllabus before embarking on your text a second time.

3-Read/Watch text a third time to try pick up on anything of significance you may have missed the first few times.
By the third time you should be relaxed with the text, it should be becoming more familiar and less intimidating.

4-Read/Watch the text a fourth time (do not rush this step!) with the aim of really trying to UNDERSTAND WHAT the composer was trying to say, and HOW they were trying to say it (i.e. techniques) and WHY (context)

5-Read/Watch the text a fifth time for the sole purpose of picking out relevant scenes/quotes/chapters that you can make referecne to in essays.

Time Frame:
  • Try do step one BEFORE you start studying the text in class
    Step two should ideally be done after you have just started studying your text in class
    Step three should be done a few weeks into your study of the text
    Step four should be done not long after step 3, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT step and should be done a good few weeks before any assessments
    Step 5 should be done about 3 weeks before any given assessment, as by this point your ideas should be formed and your quote quota is an essential finishing touch.

Keep a journal each time you go through your text, keep a note book and pen on hand and always write down your ideas as you will be surprised how easily your most original and impressive thoughts can be forgotten.

EDIT: OH AND GOOD LUCK! Not that you'll need luck if you follow this nifty plan.

Last edited:

Pierotte

HSC
brogan77 said:
I never read Emma. :eek:
Fuck off Brogan.

Now noone will take this seriously, and theres some dam good advice in there!

Just tell everyone you failed then!

Dont instill apathy in the HSC kiddies!

They need motivation!

DONT LISTEN TO HIM!

HE'S EVIL!

If you dont follow my rules you will fail!

Not really, but god damn it read your texts and form your own ideas and stop expecting other people to give them to you!
Develop your OWN understanding!

ANYONE CAN DO IT!

hahah edit: i did not only double post.. i magaed to post this message a whopping 8 times in a row.
What the...

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
whilst it is essential that you read through all HSC texts - and preferrably about three times for most people - this is not going to guarantee a band 5 or band 6. Please understand, I'm not disputing your advice as it stands pierotte, just trying to instill a bit of realism into the first claims. You can read or view a text from here until judgement day without it helping you if you aren't actively absorbing and processing information. If you need to go through a text five times to have absorbed enough knowledge to write a response to it, then you haven't grasped either the core essentials of the topic or got a handle on the skill set needed to do well in the HSC

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Pierotte said:
Take note the 5 time rule.

For every text you are given in to study for your HSC you should be looking at reading/watching it a minimum of 5 times.

This is not as hard as it sounds.
The more times you go through a text the easier it gets.

if you have a certain purpose each time you go through a text it makes it less intimidating rather that trying to absorb everything in one hit!

This is the easiest way to get good results.

I have seen WAY to many students complain that they
1) Dont understand their texts
2) Find them too boring

Simply follow this guide when viewing your texts.

It will aid understanding and prevent boredom, as you are not simply going through a text, you are going through it with a purpose.

1- Read/Watch text once on your own to simply get a first impression of the text.
Basically watch/read it for pleasure, not as if it is a HSC text.
Write down your first impressions,
These are your own individual thoughts and will make you stand out from the other HSC students who are simply analysing the given text how their teacher told them to, or how they think BOS wants them to.
Your own views are priceless.

2-Read/Watch text a second time to further strengthen your impressions.
This time also try link up your views to the syllabus
Make sure you thourally understand the syllabus before embarking on your text a second time.

3-Read/Watch text a third time to try pick up on anything of significance you may have missed the first few times.
By the third time you should be relaxed with the text, it should be becoming more familiar and less intimidating.

4-Read/Watch the text a fourth time (do not rush this step!) with the aim of really trying to UNDERSTAND WHAT the composer was trying to say, and HOW they were trying to say it (i.e. techniques) and WHY (context)

5-Read/Watch the text a fifth time for the sole purpose of picking out relevant scenes/quotes/chapters that you can make referecne to in essays.

Time Frame:
  • Try do step one BEFORE you start studying the text in class
    Step two should ideally be done after you have just started studying your text in class
    Step three should be done a few weeks into your study of the text
    Step four should be done not long after step 3, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT step and should be done a good few weeks before any assessments
    Step 5 should be done about 3 weeks before any given assessment, as by this point your ideas should be formed and your quote quota is an essential finishing touch.

Keep a journal each time you go through your text, keep a note book and pen on hand and always write down your ideas as you will be surprised how easily your most original and impressive thoughts can be forgotten.

EDIT: OH AND GOOD LUCK! Not that you'll need luck if you follow this nifty plan.

I luff you! Thank you so much Pierotte! :D
I'm having some of these issues (journeys makes me want to go on a journey to the nearest 6ft hole)

Darkening

HSC
sweet..... that will be helpfull.... iwas jus gnna T E E for everythin in english... even a 1 mark question i will go T E E ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)