want to be an ambassador (1 Viewer)

AngryTortillaan

HSC
N/A
what course should I do?

im expecting a UAI of 95+.

is that enough?

hell I havnt even opened up the UAC book till today.

im getting sick of being asked what course im doing

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
so what are you doing?
this..

anyway, ambassador for what? I spose arts law or something would be good. You would need to do some asian studies courses if you plan on being an ambassador in Asia. I hear french is also useful. Perhaps just an arts course? i'm not sure dude, ambassador is pretty general... for what? the UN? motorsport?

AngryTortillaan

HSC
N/A
I can speak fluent Urdu and Hindi.

I was looking towards being an Australian Ambassador to another country.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Well, you have a long way to go. Don’t just think that once you get a degree you can become an ambassador (as so many ANU IR students think). It takes years, and lots of work in other areas first.

Here are links to current Australian Ambassadors overseas, and it gives you their background in work and education, to give you an idea of what an Ambassador needs, also take note that most are old – ie: Have a lot of life experience and years of it, not just come from Uni.

Australian Ambassador to India
High Commissioner to India

Australian Ambassador to China
Australian Ambassador to China - Australian Embassy, China

Australian Ambassador to France
Ambassador to France

Australian Ambassador to the USA
Ambassador to United States of America

Australian Ambassador to Brazil
Ambassador to Brazil

Australian Ambassador to Russia
Ambassador to Russia

You get the idea.

Good luck.

HSC
N/A
what about less popular countries? I'm thinking like Lichtenstein, Kazikstan, Mongolia, Tasmania, Maldives etc

like i mean do you have to be uber good and wise to be one there?

and would a physio degree make me 'different'?

AngryTortillaan

HSC
N/A
well I didnt know there was so much more hard work other than a degree. lol

anyways, when did India/Pakistan become popular?

I thought Europe and far east asia would be the most popular countries for people doing relevant degrees.

I can also READ arabic....but cannot speak or write it..is arabic popular as well?

00iCon

HSC
what about less popular countries? I'm thinking like Lichtenstein, Kazikstan, Mongolia, Tasmania, Maldives etc

like i mean do you have to be uber good and wise to be one there?

and would a physio degree make me 'different'?
HAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: Tasmania :rofl:
What is Kazikstan? Kazakhstan u mean?

I thought Europe and far east asia would be the most popular countries for people doing relevant degrees.

I can also READ arabic....but cannot speak or write it..is arabic popular as well?
Arabic may be getting 'more popular' but it will pass. And i would think it's a difficult job with the different customs.
As a degree suggestion, i believe ANU has "international relations" which a friend of mine wants to do.

moc2009

HSC
N/A

If you look at current Australian Ambassadors around the world, in any country (not just the list above), you can clearly see that they all have different degrees, and the degrees themselves do not get you a job as an Ambassador, it takes years and years of work experience in other departments, if you look at the degrees the current Ambassadors did the range from a Bachelor of Arts to a Bachelor of Economics.

A language would be a good idea, but at the end of the day, most DFAT positing overseas (and Ambassadors) do not require you to have the local language.

Not only that, almost everyone at ANU doing IR think they will become diplomats or ambassadors straight out of Uni... Which is far from the truth and quite sad.

Do a Degree that you will enjoy, get the best marks you can and then start off working somewhere in Government.

Eventually, one day... you might make it as an Ambassador. But don’t expect it straight out of Uni.

Andi0390

HSC
Look at the graduate trainees page of DFAT here.

It states that most the graduate trainees have either double degrees or honours/postgrad experience. A language is not necessary, and I doubt that you would get a posting where you would really want, especially on your first posting, so a language might not do you much good. If I were you I would enter the job with an interest in foreign affairs/trading because I imagine a lot of people was o/s postings, and there are only a limited number. You do not immediately become an ambassador and you are not continuously an ambassador. Check out your page but above all do something that interests you - if you're not interested in your university degree then you probably will not excel.

I imagine you would want to look at maybe having some politics, law, economics - that kind of thing - within your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)