Want to brainstorm the concept of belonging with me? (1 Viewer)

Becky444

HSC
I would love it if you could send me notes on the immigrant chronicles bcause im actally studying it myself.

emzym100

emily.
HSC
well we're doing belonging now as well...boring as! we are studying skrzynecki - poet...he writes about the immigrant experience. i need to do a creative writing piece on belonging, first finding an image on it to use as stimulus.

but id much rather write an essay....i hate creative writingg!! :S

"Our sense of belonging is compromised not by our own perceptioons, but by the perception of others. " (it would be a mad line for an essay) :)

Mandalie

HSC
Belonging is intrinsic to human identity. A sense of belonging is created when a person experiences a strong affiliation with another person or place abd there is the perception of acceptance and understanding without compromise, conditions or limitations.

xxx

corro91

HSC
you might find it more confronting then the others, because it aims to get your personal idea and test those ideals. that is y you might find it harder then the Journey and Change aos.

Belonging as a human is a natural instinct, as humans we band together for comfort, kinship etc because together we feel safe and strong. If we are alienated and subjugated from the pack we feel weak, alone and this feeling is what makes this subject confronting because we don't want to get away from the pack for fear of pain, because of this instinct we search for acceptance.

Last edited:

Thurstenburg

HSC
Belonging is an emotional attachment which people can share with another person, community, place, object or the larger world.

Also...in class we've discussed different aspects of belonging:
Shared Experience
Kinship
Shared Society and Culture
Global Networks
Place

Most cases of belonging that I have found relate to one of these. Except not belonging.

joshoh

HSC
Zak Ambrose said:
when thinking of BELONGING we also have to think of ALIENATION.

Have a look at Betolt Brecht, (fuck his alienisation. had him for hsc drama this year, I hated it, but its all there for the taking)

gille53

HSC
Re: Mark my Introduction.

Im doing an essay for A.O.S belonging and need some feedback on my intro.
Help anyone?

“Culture plays a key role in an individuals identity and sense of belonging.”

Discuss the above statement in relation to your prescribed text and two others of your choosing.

Culture and belonging can be seen as proportional to each other; that is you can belong to a culture and a culture can give you belonging. Each of these are crucial for a steady progressive flow through life. Belonging may relate to a sign of possession or a word denoting ownership. It could be a sense of place in the voluptuous entity of Earth – a feeling of belonging to the land, being enmeshed in an environment, a social class, a cultural context or a particular era. Belonging can mean the appointment of an identity, an act involving being stereotyped, placed within a certain group as the result of ones sense of self to belong. When you belong in a culture there are opportunities and set back’s that can arise as is seen in Tare June Winch’s “Swallow the Air”, in Barack Obama’s Presidential acceptance speech and Oodgeroo Nunuccal’s “We are Going”. These examples of a fiction novel, a speech for the leader of the free world and the poem of the cultural progression around a group that belong’s to the land shows a universal sense of belonging.

Woolooware High School 09
English Advanced, Graphics, Art, Earth and Environmental Science, Mathematics
85+ UAI

Thurstenburg

HSC
Re: Mark my Introduction.

gille53 said:
Im doing an essay for A.O.S belonging and need some feedback on my intro.
Help anyone?

“Culture plays a key role in an individuals identity and sense of belonging.”

Discuss the above statement in relation to your prescribed text and two others of your choosing.

Culture and belonging can be seen as proportional to each other; that is you can belong to a culture and a culture can give you belonging. Each of these are crucial for a steady progressive flow through life. Belonging may relate to a sign of possession or a word denoting ownership. It could be a sense of place in the voluptuous entity of Earth – a feeling of belonging to the land, being enmeshed in an environment, a social class, a cultural context or a particular era. Belonging can mean the appointment of an identity, an act involving being stereotyped, placed within a certain group as the result of ones sense of self to belong. When you belong in a culture there are opportunities and set back’s that can arise as is seen in Tare June Winch’s “Swallow the Air”, in Barack Obama’s Presidential acceptance speech and Oodgeroo Nunuccal’s “We are Going”. These examples of a fiction novel, a speech for the leader of the free world and the poem of the cultural progression around a group that belong’s to the land shows a universal sense of belonging.

Woolooware High School 09
English Advanced, Graphics, Art, Earth and Environmental Science, Mathematics
85+ UAI

You might want to look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, could give you some ideas in which to further explore that statement!

tommydmtb

HSC
rubookmark said:
Belonging, is very hard to define, simply because that it means a different thing to each person. Belonging, to me, is the yearning in everyone to feel important and understood for who they really are.

I also think that the concept of belonging is more about the idea of NOT belonging. All those texts about belonging always focuses on the characters that do not in fact belong (or feel they don’t belong).

Belonging may not always be a good thing. Peer pressure can influence people to do things that they know is wrong. For example in Arthur Miller’s Crucible, belonging to the society led to mass hysteria and the multiple hangings of innocent people.

There are also some people may not want to belong. There are individuals who would rather not “conform” to society. It may be because they don’t agree to the way things are done or because they think it it will strip away their own individuality.

Belonging, is very hard to define, simply because that it means a different thing to each person. Very good i liked it!

natalie.92

HSC
there are many representations of belonging. i dont know if everyone does them but i think they're all great to use to form a more solid repsonse
1)belonging as shared experience
2)belonging as shared locality
3)belonging as kinship
4)belonging as society and culture
5)belonging as global networks
6)belonging as textual engagements

georgefren

HSC
Can someone explain to me what exactly the belonging part of the HSC exam will involve? Is it just a comprehension and creative?

yheywood87

HSC
Something interesting that we discussed in class today was that the concept of belonging, to an extent, is based on the alienation of people who do not belong to that group or entity.

I've never thought of it that way before.
I thought that was interesting. However, can anyone elaborate on that point?

bored of sc

HSC
Can someone explain to me what exactly the belonging part of the HSC exam will involve? Is it just a comprehension and creative?
Paper 1 - Area of Study 2009 - Belonging Examination

Part (i) Comprehension on unseen text-types (usally 3-4 texts both visual and writeen) --- Short answer questions (15 marks)

Part (ii) Creative writing based on stimulus (i.e. picture, quote, etc); can be a variety of text types i.e. narrative, letter, memoirs, diary entry etc (15 marks)

Part (iii) Essay/closely related text type (e.g. analytical exposition, discussion etc) on an aspect(s) of belonging involving personal, technical/analytical, contextual, historical, cultural, philosophical etc views/perspectives/ideologies etc (15 marks)

It can be a difficult exam (i.e. my year 11 english area of study exam was a tough one) especially if you don't know your concept/texts inside out or have not prepared sufficiently.

You have to be versatile, original, eloquent and analytical.

gemgem101

HSC
Well i'm doing ' The immigrant Chronicles' at school and i have a lot of notes if anyone's interested. I Also have a feature article which explores the reason behind the humanistic need to belong..
Anything else would be great:)

4u english, 2u math, chem, bio
Hey :) I was wondering if I could have a look at that article?
That would be a great help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)