Want to play bass any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Hey,
I've always wanted to play the bass, but I ended up getting an electric guitar instead, been playing for like 6 months now. I'm ok at it, I can play most of "otherside" and a few other songs (mind you, I started learning otherside like 2 weeks ago), but I also want to play bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for electric basses and how much do they cost, where they got them from etc etc.)

P.S. My favourite bass is the Fender P Bass :)

MuffinMan

HSC
Eh, I only have like 1000 to spend. Kinda limits me to squiers hey?

Hahaha I have a Fender Squier Bullet, kinda crap but hey, I'd probably switch to a Stratocaster (like a proper fender later this year)

What is wrong with Fenders?

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

$1000? Is that just for the bass, or amp too? Either way you can get a top notch set up for that price...certainly not limited to Squires.

neafoo

HSC
My advice would be to go and play some basses, you know what a guitar feels like so that should give you a basis for the feels you like in a guitar.

and with $1000 you can buy a mid range rig most probably. I dont know if basses are similar to guitars in regards to amp and sound quality. Basically if you have a shit guitar, but a good amp, you can get decent sound, but if you have a shit amp and a great guitar you will usually get terrible tone. So if thats relevant to bass i suggest you keep it in mind.

MuffinMan

HSC
neafoo said:
Basically if you have a shit guitar, but a good amp, you can get decent sound, but if you have a shit amp and a great guitar you will usually get terrible tone.
So true hey!

haha yeah, any alternatives other than p bass. How about the j bass? Is it any good? Sorry haven't seen anyone play a j bass so I wouldn't know how it sounds like. Yeah I need some effects pedals for my guitar too. Does anyone use effects pedals for basses? I can only think of one song which uses an effect pedal for a bass, overdrive to be exact.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
MuffinMan said:
Hey,
I've always wanted to play the bass, but I ended up getting an electric guitar instead, been playing for like 6 months now. I'm ok at it, I can play most of "otherside" and a few other songs (mind you, I started learning otherside like 2 weeks ago), but I also want to play bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for electric basses and how much do they cost, where they got them from etc etc.)

P.S. My favourite bass is the Fender P Bass :)
You bought a guitar, you lose interest, and now you want a bass because you think the same won't happen.

I'm sorry to say this, but you have ADD, and you'll be sick of the bass just as quickly.

MuffinMan

HSC
nah actually I want to play both? I haven't lost my interest, far from it actually. I play it uh, everyday. :eek:

iwannarock

HSC
withoutaface said:
You bought a guitar, you lose interest, and now you want a bass because you think the same won't happen.

I'm sorry to say this, but you have ADD, and you'll be sick of the bass just as quickly.
ouch.

the truth comes out.

MuffinMan

HSC
FireFlower said:
but if you try to lower it the slightest bit you end up with massive fret buzz.
I'm having the same problem with my E string on my guitar :( Any suggestions? I can't raise it any higher otherwise it's out of tune.

redox

HSC
You can get a great beginners instrument for well under $1000. Just don't go for any cheapy random brand beginner packs which any music store will probably try to sell you if you tell them you're a beginner.

Go for Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez, etc. These make some quality beginner instruments.

The absolute best advice you could receive is to go into a store and ask to try some of the guitars out. If it doesn't produce a sound you like, it's not worth it, regardless of price. This is important especially if you're going to spend alot of money. I'd also recommend to get a quality amp, (as someone mentioned) if you want to fully appreciate whatever bass you decide to get

One option to consider would be getting a second hand bass. With a little searching, for $1000 you could probably find a really top-notch instrument.

FYI, I have a Yamaha RBX270 J which I got brand new for a little less than half what you have to spend. It's quite good for a beginner / intermediate level and lasted me a year so far. Consensus seems to be that a J is more versatile and has a nicer sound, but really it's up to you and what you feel sounds best.

G

Gavvvvvin

MuffinMan said:
So true hey!
I can only think of one song which uses an effect pedal for a bass, overdrive to be exact.
Ha I cant think of any. The only thing that comes to mind is something like Closer by NIN.

At the moment I have an OLP MM2 and Randall RB100 combo amp, and playing through even a cheap multi effects processor really helps to clean up the sound. I'd recommend getting some kind of noise gate and amp/stomp box.cabinet modeling if you're gonna get a cheap set up.

MuffinMan

HSC
Around the World - Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anyway, this might be off topic, but I'm really having a huge problem with fret buzzing for my guitar. The E string is killing itself. Problem is, it's buzzing even though it is in tune :(.

neafoo

HSC
Lots of guitars buzz when theyre in tune. my squier buzzes a shitload (but i usually focus on the noise comming from the amp so i dont mind) but this is prolly mostly because i lowered the action on it myself back when i had nfi what i was doing and cant be bothered raising and intonating it again :D

my jackson V only buzzes from frets 1-7 on the E string and 1-5 on the A =]

bassguy

HSC
i used a yamaha when i was starting out, and i play a fender marcus miller j-bass now
it depends on what kind of stuff you want to play, i guess

bass effect songs - muse have heaps of that
NIN's Closer is actually played on synth
at least it is live

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
ummm well this might come to a little over a thousand but well worth it

i reckon that the Cort Arisan A4's or A5 (if u want five strings) are great value for money- generally retail for about a grand. Bartolini pickups, 3 band eq u can look up the specs. Im in love with this bass- the hip shot tuners are awsome and with the eq i can get any sound. Has a really smooth low end as well. Plus the passive/active switch is awsome.

In terms of amps well for bass you want a bit more power. You can get a fender rumble 100 W for around 600 bucks- awsome if u ask me as it sounds incredible and its fucking loud in your house!! Shakes the walls...

off the side- i can play around the world but how do u replicate flea's tone- what effects does he use? I read sum where that it is a big muff distortion or sumthing???

Does any one recommend the line 6 Bass XT Live multieffects pedal?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
check to make sure that ur action isnt to low.
it needs to be low enough so that when u play the string doesnt hit the frets.

could be the guitar, check to make sure that any of the frets arnt sticking out further than any of the others.

get a rickenbacker they look an sound fucking fat as.
my mates got one. he plays bass simiar to flea as he dominates, however it's not a funk band. but still its a kickass bass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)