Wanting to do 2U or 3U maths. (1 Viewer)

lorddoan

HSC
N/A
I am currently in year 10, and failing standard mathematics. I was hoping to be able to pick 2U or 3U maths for next year but it didn't let me pick it. The reason why i am failing is because when ever i'm studying, i'll forget it almost instantly, this is a really critical thing and it is affecting by marks. So should i consider doing 2U or 3U maths even though i am failing standard maths? And how can i memorise what i'm studying.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Your methodology of studying may not coincide with how you mind learns and absorbs i.e. you may be a visual learner but are trying to learn verbally. Try different techniques on how to memorise such as flash cards, posters, listening to yourself reciting formulas. Also another aspect that has to be covered is implementing the formulas and techniques into real questions. If you do not practice with actual questions, the knowledge won't actually be absorbed. For example, when learning the quadratic formula, you can sit their for hours (exaggerating a bit) and try memorise it or you can do question with it and quote it in your working out. That's actually how i remember new formulas and concepts.
Your only in year 10 so you have plenty of time to practice and perfect your studying techniques

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I am currently in year 10, and failing standard mathematics. I was hoping to be able to pick 2U or 3U maths for next year but it didn't let me pick it. The reason why i am failing is because when ever i'm studying, i'll forget it almost instantly, this is a really critical thing and it is affecting by marks. So should i consider doing 2U or 3U maths even though i am failing standard maths? And how can i memorise what i'm studying.

Yr10 isn't all that important tbh just know your fundementals and you're good to go. Just keep doing similar questions, it'll eventually stick to your head

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
The reason why i am failing is because when ever i'm studying, i'll forget it almost instantly, this is a really critical thing and it is affecting by marks.
Your methods of studying are faulty. How are you studying? Why do you forget it almost instantly? Do you cram? Do you revise? What's the point of continuing following a clearly hopeless study routine when you can have a think of improving it?

So should i consider doing 2U or 3U maths even though i am failing standard maths? And how can i memorise what i'm studying.
Yes, you will feel restricted when studying lower mathematics and learning higher levels of mathematics will induce higher orders of logical thinking. Perseverence.
How to memorise what you are studying? At the start of the study session, stipulate a goal, clearly. "Memorise the quadratic formula". Understand the formula, know how to use it, why it is like that. Prove it if you can. Apply the formula to some questions until the process is no longer hard. Review the formula after the study session. Give a few days or so and then recall the idea/concept BUT on a blank piece of paper, without aid of notes, construct an exposition in the aim of teaching a primary school child. Try your hardest. Upon satisfaction, review notes to evaluate your explanation. This allows you to patch existing hole of knowledge of this idea/concept and gain a deeper understanding of the idea/concept.

If you understand something, you will remember it easier.

Thats all.

Source: I did 2U/3U/4U and didn't do too well so I introspected and was taught the above method by my chemistry teacher. Result was great! Still prefer psychology :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)