Wanting to get more involved this year... (1 Viewer)

antisheep

HSC
So i kinda noticed that last year (my first year at mac) I kinda showed up went to class and went home... and so this year i'd really like to get involved in more on campus this year... but it's kind of hard knowing where to start... i know it's kind of open ended but can any mq vets give me any ideas as to some groups/organisations that could be good to get involved with? Or even just what you guys have done outside of your course work... i'd really appreciate it.. thanks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So i kinda noticed that last year (my first year at mac) I kinda showed up went to class and went home... and so this year i'd really like to get involved in more on campus this year... but it's kind of hard knowing where to start... i know it's kind of open ended but can any mq vets give me any ideas as to some groups/organisations that could be good to get involved with? Or even just what you guys have done outside of your course work... i'd really appreciate it.. thanks
What're you interested in?

Most of the people here are mentors, always a good starter point in meeting new people/first years and also bos members! Also opens up opportunities around the uni with regards to possible work or events :)

There are always the clubs and societies around O-Week, and barring that, there's always the bar and the bar events :D

Logjammin'

HSC
What're you interested in?

Most of the people here are mentors, always a good starter point in meeting new people/first years and also bos members! Also opens up opportunities around the uni with regards to possible work or events :)

There are always the clubs and societies around O-Week, and barring that, there's always the bar and the bar events :D
From the lists I can find on the internet ( Student Groups List ), it looks like near half the groups are christian based... I thought after getting out of a catholic high school that I would sailing clear of all that :\ Is this list accurate? Or are there many more things that I'm missing?

miss-smexy

HSC
From the lists I can find on the internet ( Student Groups List ), it looks like near half the groups are christian based... I thought after getting out of a catholic high school that I would sailing clear of all that :\ Is this list accurate? Or are there many more things that I'm missing?

lol yep the list is accurate. if you're interested in any groups, most of them are on facebook so u can also just search it up there to find out more info.

Last edited:

antisheep

HSC
As a law student there is also MULS which has events throughout the year, mentoring, mooting etc...
Yeah i really wanted to do that last year but it was so intimidating! But now i wish i had jumped in last year when everyone was a newbie instead of catching up this year... lol... i definitely want to look at that.

Most of the people here are mentors, always a good starter point in meeting new people/first years and also bos members! Also opens up opportunities around the uni with regards to possible work or events
That's something I really want to do next year... i missed out on applying this year due to my own laziness predominately =(. But yeah it looks really fun... a friend of mine is a mentor leader and he raves and raves.

Mainly i'm disappointed there's no student publication to sink my teeth into... any ideas as to what's happening with that?

X

xeuyrawp

Mainly i'm disappointed there's no student publication to sink my teeth into... any ideas as to what's happening with that?
There has been some sort of student publication for the past two years, mate... This year, Tim Hendry & Co are taking over the U@MQ sponsored one. They'll probably have something happen in O-Week.

antisheep

HSC
There has been some sort of student publication for the past two years, mate... This year, Tim Hendry & Co are taking over the U@MQ sponsored one. They'll probably have something happen in O-Week.
yeah i know but there was nothing towards the end of last year and i hadn't heard anything else so i wasn't sure... which was sad... i liked speculum. But i'll definitely check them out at o-week.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That's something I really want to do next year... i missed out on applying this year due to my own laziness predominately =(. But yeah it looks really fun... a friend of mine is a mentor leader and he raves and raves.
Give the transition program a buzz, we're a bit low on numbers so as long as you can make the training sessions, I don't think they'll mind :)

transition@mq.edu.au

I think

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Competent english speaking EFS mentors are still great in my books >.>

zeromq

HSC
N/A
So they don't want any more mentors for actuarial studies? :(

rachomini

HSC
speaking of joining student groups...I'll miss the O week this year because I'll be traveling to Japan...so just wondering...must you join these groups in that week?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just get in touch with the group and I'm sure they'll be happy to take you on board when you get back, they're not going to refuse membership I don't think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)