Wanting to re-take HSC - 2012 (1 Viewer)

Garry2Lepis

HSC
Greetings everyone,
I graduated in 2011. Completing my HSC and received an ATAR of 88.90.

I always had a passion to become a doctor, working in Australia. As you can see my punctuation and expression isn't at high standards. My biggest regret however is not doing my best in the HSC, by playing video games instead of trying real hard for english and drama. Especially for english I couldn't even remember the quotes. I totally underestimated the difficulty of the HSC. Now, I really thought of re-doing the HSC. Tell me if its the best option to do so, if you got any other suggestions I would love to get your ideas.

My results for 2011: (Bands)
1. English (Advanced): Band 4
2. Biology: Band 6
3. Drama: Band 5
4. Mathematics (Extension 1): Band E4
5. Mathematics: Band 6
6. Physics: Band 6

A personal friend of mine he said it would be best for me to repeat the HSC. He told me a transfer pathway could include doing Bachelor of Science (Advanced) at UNSW or USYD. However, due to my results and the maximum bonus points possible is +5, however the cut-off required it 95.00, so even still I cant get in as it leaves me reaching 93.90.

Any good suggestions would help alot.

Thank you

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You could do a science course at another uni, then transfer into UNSW/USYD and go from there. I know a few people who have taken that route, and are going fine.

enoilgam

HSC
In my opinion, re-doing the HSC is one of the worst things you can do. You should only repeat the HSC if you have been sick or if you have had a major personal tragedy. You are better off starting a course at university which is closely related to your desired career and transfering in from there. As is often the case, you can do units from the first course which count towards your desired course - which means that you wont be wasting your time completely in your first degree. With redoing the HSC, you dont get any of these advantages, so in a sense you will be dragging your education out over a longer period.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
DONT REPEAT!!!
You are going to waste another year at a chance of getting in
If you find you cant cope/fail umat/fail interview etc your just going to waste an extra year
Why dont you do a bachelor of science(cutoff of like 80 at UNSW)/a degree you want to do, smash it and apply for grad med.
Seriously do not repeat

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't repeat the HSC. Utter waste of time.

Do a uni transfer.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your cutoff would have been plenty for USyd or UNSW or MQ or UTS or UWS if you applied in the Main Round for Science. Did you even put down any preferences for the Main Round? Anyway, look through the Late Round offers and see if there are any vacancies. Even if there aren't any, put down your desired course (as there is a chance that there are indeed vacancies).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
With those marks the only real subject that would need to be redone would be English - you don't need to redo all subjects.

If you redid English and took it to a Band 6 you ATAR would go up but...would it go up enough.

If you redid all of your subjects you could easily go down in some of those subjects in which you gained a Band 6 and that could actually lower your ATAR as you last attempt counts even if it is worse than your first so say you took English up to a Band 6 but Physics dropped to a Band 5 you could actually go backwards with regard to your ATAR.

You would be better off going to uni and doing a science based course that could see you transfer than take the risk of redoing the HSC.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Your cutoff would have been plenty for USyd or UNSW or MQ or UTS or UWS if you applied in the Main Round for Science. Did you even put down any preferences for the Main Round? Anyway, look through the Late Round offers and see if there are any vacancies. Even if there aren't any, put down your desired course (as there is a chance that there are indeed vacancies).
OP was referring to advanced science I believe, although I was just looking at the late round cut-offs and there's vacancies at UWS for Med Sci (Advanced) with a cut-off of 90.10 or 92.75. Not sure how the bonus points work at UWS, but I'm sure you could give it a try. It's better than repeating the HSC, especially considering you basically need an ATAR of 99.90+. I can't see someone adding >10 points to their ATAR.

jack487

HSC
you got band e4 for ext band 6 for phys bio and 2u and you only got an atar of 88? i supose your biggest let down was drama

Pfortune35

HSC
dont redo the hsc that would be a massive waste of your time. GO to uni, then apply post grad. With your atar I would recommend science at sydney or unsw.

Doing well in either of these (and the gamsat) would qualify your for post grad medicine but nothing is absolute.

redoing the hsc would only be bad for you, trying to go from 88 one year to 99+ the next would be practically impossible.

its important to remember that medicine is hard to get into so u need a backup, makesure you keep that in mind.

Thats why I'd recommend a science degree, graduates have alot of options.

hope this helps oh NEVER REDO THE HSC

thisiswar

HSC
You're results are quite impressive actually :) i thought ur atar would be higher.. =S a friend of mine didnt even get a band 6 and got a higher atar...

Anyway,hsc results last for 3 years and they take ur most recent results so if u think u can definitely improve english and drama then do it but dont try if u dont thinku can.... I would get into whichever course u want first (in ur preferred uni) and then do ur best in that course for first year and try to apply for transfer to anotehr course.

loaves

HSC
As everyone else has said - don't repeat, it's a massive waste of time. Start uni and dedicate yourself to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)