War in Iraq (2 Viewers)

samih91

HSC
Aussie troops wounded by bomb
Two Australian soldiers have been wounded in a roadside bomb blast in southern Iraq, the Defence Department said today.

The injuries come as nine US soldiers were killed and 20 wounded in a suicide car bombing against a patrol base north-east of Baghdad yesterday.

The injured Australians are from the Australian Overwatch Battle Group West and were on patrol on a road north of the town of An Nasariyah in Dhi Qar Province yesterday.

A departmental news release said their Australian Light Armoured Vehicle was "extensively damaged and destroyed by a subsequent fire".

The soldiers were from the 2nd Cavalry Regiment based in Darwin.

One received lower leg injuries, while the other suffered less serious wounds. Their injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

They were evacuated to a US military hospital.

Officials in Canberra told smh.com.au that Australian troops were involved in three related security incidents in the area.

In the first incident, the Australians came under a rocket attack by insurgents, but there were no injuries.

The second incident was the blast by a roadside "improvised explosive device" in which two Australian vehicles were involved.

The first vehicle was badly damaged and two of its three occupants were wounded. The second vehicle was immobilised, but its occupants were uninjured.

Soon after the explosion, Australian soldiers fired at an approaching vehicle as they secured the blast site.

- with AAP

AP reports: The suicide bombing that killed the nine US soldiers occurred in Diyala province, a volatile area that has been the site of fierce fighting between US and Iraqi troops, Sunni insurgents and Shiite militias, according to a military statement.

The nine Task Force Lightning soldiers died of injuries sustained in the blast, which also left 20 soldiers and an Iraqi civilian wounded, the military said.

Of those wounded, 15 soldiers were treated and returned to duty while five others and the Iraqi civilian were evacuated to a medical facility for further care, it added.

Identities were not released pending notification of relatives.

It was the second bold attack against a US base north of Baghdad in just over two months and was notable for its use of a suicide car bomber.

On February 19, insurgents struck a US combat post in Tarmiyah, about 50 kilometres north of Baghdad, killing two soldiers and wounding 17 in what the military called a "co-ordinated attack''.

It began with a suicide car bombing, then gunfire on soldiers pinned down in a former Iraqi police station, where fuel storage tanks were set ablaze by the blast.

Militants have mostly used hit-and-run ambushes, roadside bombs or mortars on US troops and stayed away from direct assaults on fortified military compounds to avoid US firepower.
Source: SMH

Two Australian soldiers have been injured, one seriously, by a roadside bomb that exploded as their armoured vehicle passed by in southern Iraq.
Should they have been there?
Why are they there?

Last edited by a moderator:

banco55

HSC
They are there to maintain the ANZUS alliance and yes it's woth it.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
banco55 said:
They are there to maintain the ANZUS alliance and yes it's woth it.
and all this time they had me believe we were there to "disarm saddam"!
so youre saying people are dying for the US and Aust. to be friends, where's the humanity in that?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
they should probably be in afghanistan, east timor or the solomons tbh

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Why? Our troops shouldn't be in any of those places! Sure East Timor and the Soloman Islands are up the shit, but our Troops are not the police of the Pacific! And the argument that they are there to "rebuild" can be refuted, because that is what they are doing in Iraq - assistanting in the effort to rebuild that country. As for Afghanistan, my question is why?
both Timor and the Solmons have asked for our assistance with troops.

If you need me to explain why Troops should stay in Afghanistan you should probably go back to your antiwar NUS meetings.

Where is the humanity is millions of African's starving to death because governments won't send aid to their countries, because there be fuck all to gain when the US pillages and plunders their country?
Yes, because all African leaders are fair and equal dividing aid among their people. Sending aid to African nations will not help improve their peoples' plight. Oh and "the US pillages and plunders their country?", fucking lol.

banco55

HSC
onebytwo said:
so youre saying people are dying for the US and Aust. to be friends, where's the humanity in that?
I'm saying leaving aside the saddam bit it's worth our while to have the 800 troops over there for the sake of the US alliance. The 800 troops are in relatively safe parts of Iraq and (as far as I know) the two soldiers today were the first casualties.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
I refer you to my statement earlier:-
Official "Exphate" edict. We must follow this immediately; I'll get the PM on the blower and inform him of this change in policy.

Let's pretend I know wtf you are on about with the "NUS Meetings". I am not anti-war, I just think it is rediculous that they are still there. The US went in, removed the Taliban, lost Bin Ladin and installed a democratic government under Hamed Karzai.
Afghanistan still doesn't ahve a highly functional and mobile army. If the coalition retreats the Taliban will probably take control again.

What do you suggest then? Letting the starvation and poverty continue or trying to do something about it?
hmm let me put my years of foreign policy and expert knowledge of the history of Africa into use. first we must,

tempco

HSC
Eight in 10 Iraqis oppose occupation

On the eve of the fourth anniversary of the US-British-Australian invasion of oil-rich Iraq, the American Broadcasting Corporation released the results of a survey showing that 78% of Iraqis oppose the continuing presence of US and allied foreign troops in their country.
As a result of the failure of Iraq’s US-imposed “democracy” to improve their lives, support for a secular democratic system of government among Iraqis has declined from 64% in 2005 to 53%. The percentage of those favouring a government run by a Hussein-style “strong leader” has risen over the same period from 16% to 26%. An Islamist regime, favoured by 12% in 2005, is now favoured by 22% of Iraqis — 37% of Shiites, but only 6% of Sunni Arabs.
While 12% of those surveyed reported that the forced separation of Sunnis and Shiites had occurred in their neighbourhoods, 99% of Sunni Arabs and 95% of Shiites said they were opposed to the separation of Iraqis on sectarian lines.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Exphate said:
I don't agree with the war on Terror, but we are helping the Iraqies rebuild. That said, they shouldn't of been there in the first place, and they shouldn't be there now.
thats right, rebuilding the shit the fuckers ruined in the first place.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
yeah, i agree with onebytwo

The mission of the troops over there should be over by now. They wanted to rid the country of sadam, and they accomplished that successfuly. SO what are they still doing there? I think the iraqis should be given a chance to re-build their country them selves.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
MaNiElla said:
yeah, i agree with onebytwo

The mission of the troops over there should be over by now. They wanted to rid the country of sadam, and they accomplished that successfuly. SO what are they still doing there? I think the iraqis should be given a chance to re-build their country them selves.
if i was an iraqi and the coalition left what would stop me from killing anyone? there is no police or army besides a sparse force created in their wake which probably would desert without american help.

do you think iraq is going to turn into wonderland once the allies leave? no, its going to spiral into a civil war with no one able to enforce any sort of rule of law.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
do you think iraq is going to turn into wonderland once the allies leave? no, its going to spiral into a civil war with no one able to enforce any sort of rule of law.
No ofcourse i dont think that it'l turn into wonderland, but its not like the troops over there are doing a better job. They're killing as many people.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
MaNiElla said:
No ofcourse i dont think that it'l turn into wonderland, but its not like the troops over there are doing a better job. They're killing as many people.
you make it sound as if they leave the barracks and go out and shoot as many iraqis as they can.

banco55

HSC
MaNiElla said:
Yeah right in a full on civil war the death toll will reach 6 digits within a year or so when those islamic nutters start slaughtering each other.

morganforrest

HSC
The International Crisis Group is an organisation headed by former Australian Foreign Minister Gareth Evans. It monitors conflict situations world wide and compiles reports that they present to governments and other organisations giving their opinion on the best way to resolve the issue. They have people on the ground and are a non partisan organisation that seem to give real facts and plausible solutions. Anyone interested in the Iraw conflict should read the After Baker-Hamilton Report to be found here... http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=4580&l=1

Other reports and briefings from the ICG on Iraq can be found at... http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=2436&l=1

And may i just point out that nowhere in this report does it suggest the coalition of the willing pull out of iraq. Granted, we probably shouldn't have gone in in the first place. But we did and we now have to deal with the mess thats there.

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
jb_nc said:
SOURCE: GREENLEFT.ORG
Ad hominem
The survey was conducted between February 25 and March 5 by 150 Iraqi interviewers for ABC News and its media partners USA Today, the BBC and Germany’s ARD TV. Similar surveys were conducted for ABC News in February 2004 and November 2005.

In a March 19 analysis of the survey results, ABC News polling director Gary Langer reported that “the number of Iraqis who call it ‘acceptable’ to attack US and [other] coalition forces, 17 percent in early 2004, has tripled to 51 percent now”.
banco55 said:
Yeah right in a full on civil war the death toll will reach 6 digits within a year or so when those islamic nutters start slaughtering each other.
The POV that an increase in the severity of the civil war after the withdrawal of Coalition troops is debatable. The presence of Coalition troops contributes to the civil war environment and is also the primary reason for many of the insurgent attacks (which result in civilian casualties). Obviously, the Coalition withdrawing won't stop Sunni-Shia attacks though.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
onebytwo said:
Where is the humanity in being an idiot who supports a political system that always ends in starvation and suffering?

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
tempco said:
Ad hominem

The POV that an increase in the severity of the civil war after the withdrawal of Coalition troops is debatable. The presence of Coalition troops contributes to the civil war environment and is also the primary reason for many of the insurgent attacks (which result in civilian casualties). Obviously, the Coalition withdrawing won't stop Sunni-Shia attacks though.
Incorrect, the bulk of attacks are to do with attacks by rival militias.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
samih91 said:
Source: SMH

Two Australian soldiers have been injured, one seriously, by a roadside bomb that exploded as their armoured vehicle passed by in southern Iraq.
Should they have been there?
Why are they there?
I can think of four

http://www.un.org/documents/scres.htm

UNSC Resoultion 660

UNSC Resoultion 678

UNSC Resoultion 687

UNSC Resoultion 1441

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)