Warning: Do NOT choose Pharmacy (B.Pharm). (1 Viewer)

Chong_Boy

HSC
There are no jobs in pharmacy. Pharmacy has no future. Do not choose pharmacy under any circumstances. My friends are pharmacists and they have been unemployed for 3 years. One has quit the profession and is working at a supermarket checkout. The other has gone to tafe to study something else. There is a massive oversupply of pharmacy graduates and pharmacists. There will soon be 30000 pharmacists in australia (and rising) but only 5000 pharmacies. Each pharmacy will employ 1 maybe 2 pharmacists at most, leaving the other 20000 without any work. Also, most pharmacies are going bankrupt and are unable to compete with those chemist warehouse discount pharmacies which will soon be everywhere. (coles and woolies will also soon open up their own pharmacies , good luck competing with them). Chances are, if you are lucky enough to find a job, you'll be working at one of these chemist warehouse supermarkets earning a graduate wage of $15/hr...plus you'll be abused by customers all day everyday. Plus, the degree itself is horrible (just ask any pharmacy graduate) and the registration exams after graduation are torture (fail the oral once and you have to wait half a year to try again...and again...registration could take years). Pharmacy is the worst possible career you can choose.

RishBonjour

HSC
People only choose it when they have no other valid option.

albertcamus

HSC
It's easier to just do something else in the science based industry though, so idk why you'd CHOOSE to go into pharmacy anymore.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
But you must remember there are other opportunities. Eg if you move to rural areas, there are more likely to be opportunities out there, it's just that not a whole heap of people are prepared to make the move. Also, there are different types of pharmacy positions, from the commercial or retail-type ones such as working in a pharmacy or chemist warehouse, to more research ones where you can work for companies developing drugs.

Other options that being a pharmacist would make you highly qualified for would include things like working as a drug sales rep.

Think about it, a lot of arts students graduate each year and there aren't specific jobs out there for them, but a lot of them end up in cool positions (they certainly don't all end up at maccas don't even go there). It's a matter of looking for positions the skills set you have learnt could be applicable for, and then applying.
Very, very limited job opportunities man.

Correct, in broadening the job prospects but the accessibility of such prospects is VERY limited.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
Get a law degree. It's so versatile you can do heaps with law. It teaches you sooooo much and you learn to read, write and analyse eloquently something employers find very appealing. You don't even have to be a lawyer with a law degree. You can climb mountains or become a restaurant owner the possibilities are endless!!!!!! Plus USYD chicks are OFFF DA HOOOOOOOKKKKKK!!!!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But you must remember there are other opportunities. Eg if you move to rural areas, there are more likely to be opportunities out there, it's just that not a whole heap of people are prepared to make the move. Also, there are different types of pharmacy positions, from the commercial or retail-type ones such as working in a pharmacy or chemist warehouse, to more research ones where you can work for companies developing drugs.

Other options that being a pharmacist would make you highly qualified for would include things like working as a drug sales rep.

Think about it, a lot of arts students graduate each year and there aren't specific jobs out there for them, but a lot of them end up in cool positions (they certainly don't all end up at maccas don't even go there). It's a matter of looking for positions the skills set you have learnt could be applicable for, and then applying.
You really need to be at the very top to get those research positions.

If you want a job as a pharmacist, you MUST start working at a pharmacy for as long as you can BEFORE you graduate. My sister worked at a pharmacy during her degree and when she graduated, she at least got a part time position (something like 25-30 hours). Just for the sake of including this, she was by no means an outstanding student (about credit average).

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
Get a law degree. It's so versatile you can do heaps with law. It teaches you sooooo much and you learn to read, write and analyse eloquently something employers find very appealing. You don't even have to be a lawyer with a law degree. You can climb mountains or become a restaurant owner the possibilities are endless!!!!!! Plus USYD chicks are OFFF DA HOOOOOOOKKKKKK!!!!
LOL

Pharmacy isn't that bad though - you can always try post grad med!

zxreth

HSC
You could always move to the states and settle for a 90k starting salary.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah..... pharmacy is a bit saturated lol

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Guys I also just wanted to add that I know 20 people who graduated 2 years ago in commerce/law and arts/law at USYD,UMAQ and UNSW.

18 of these people have been unemployed all this time and 10 of these people have gotten distinction average. I MEAN WTF 3 of them are freaking working at coles DA FREAK?

DONT DO LAW UNLESS YOUR REALLY REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT IT. YOU WILL REGRET IT 5 years of hecs debt and being unemployed is painful. Ive talked to my uncle who is in mangerial position at the big 6 and he said that the job market is really saturated right now and 90 percent of the students who get the grad job have "NETWORK" eg, their dad is in a mangerial position at the law firms. DO not DO LAW FOR TH MONEY OR THE PRESTIGE, you will fail gravely. Sorry if I was pessimistic its because I am so shocked...

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys I also just wanted to add that I know 20 people who graduated 2 years ago in commerce/law and arts/law at USYD,UMAQ and UNSW.

18 of these people have been unemployed all this time and 10 of these people have gotten distinction average. I MEAN WTF 3 of them are freaking working at coles DA FREAK?

DONT DO LAW UNLESS YOUR REALLY REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT IT. YOU WILL REGRET IT 5 years of hecs debt and being unemployed is painful. Ive talked to my uncle who is in mangerial position at the big 6 and he said that the job market is really saturated right now and 90 percent of the students who get the grad job have "NETWORK" eg, their dad is in a mangerial position at the law firms. DO not DO LAW FOR TH MONEY OR THE PRESTIGE, you will fail gravely. Sorry if I was pessimistic its because I am so shocked...
It's actually 91%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)