• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Warranty (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Has anyone bought a new computer from somewhere off the web and ever had to make use of their waranty? Was it painless or did you have problems? Where did you get the computer from?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Well, if you're comparing it vendors for their servicing, i'd say Dell if by-far the best when it comes to customer service, followed by HP. However, in terms of their computers, they are no where near the best in terms of value/quality.
That's exactly what my problem is. I'm thinking of getting a dell, except they are crap as. They use cheap/old motherboards which wont live up to my standards. Who the hell would buy a motherboard these days, where it doesn't even have pci-e slots!?

The only reason I'm hesitant about buying a custom computer from somewhere like secret.net is that I'm worried about the company giving me the cold shoulder if something is wrong with the machine.

Hop-Elite

HSC
jumb said:
That's exactly what my problem is. I'm thinking of getting a dell, except they are crap as. They use cheap/old motherboards which wont live up to my standards. Who the hell would buy a motherboard these days, where it doesn't even have pci-e slots!?

The only reason I'm hesitant about buying a custom computer from somewhere like secret.net is that I'm worried about the company giving me the cold shoulder if something is wrong with the machine.

ahahah, i agree who da funk would bother buying a motherboard, which doesnt have PCI-E (PCI Express) slots i mean come on, thats just how do i put it ... Waste of Resources, which in this case would be your hard earnt money, i havent bothered ordering computers online, i prefer the face to face dealings, that way i can bargain the price down :) ...

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Personally, id suggest buying the parts and putting it together yourself, its almost always cheaper, plus u learn about what does what and you have total control over what goes into your PC, its great :) If you check what parts your buying they should all have a manufacturer warranty or a store of purchase warranty and then your covered anyway :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I'm prepared to pay a little more for laziness and such. The main problem is the company living up to their waranty offer, as I've heard they can be a real bitch. From what sikeveo said, I'm feeling a bit better about secretnet.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Well, if you've got the money, the two brand I recommend are Medion and Alienware. Medion has the best value computers, with a reasonably well level of service. This is the computer I recommend to everyone who asks me about computers to buy: http://www.aldi.com.au/product_01/product_351.html
For $1599, NO DEALER offers what that computer has. While theres no monitor, you can pick up a cheap samsung LCD from techbuy.com.au for $300~600.

Just to clarify that, my dealer can offer a very similar system, almost identical specs for $1547

EDIT: $1547 is with 1 yr return to base warranty, for a 2 yr return to base warranty its $1577

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
If you buy a ready-built computer, then you'll have warranty on the whole thing, if anything breaks. It's a package and the warranty covers everything.

If you buy parts and build your own, then the warranty will vary from part to part. Most peripherals have a one year warranty (which is usually extendable) from the manufacturer, but they will usually ask you to go to your supplier first if it's within 15-30 days of purchase. Other than that the process tends to be a send-back-to-manufacturer-wait-a-long-time deal.

ReaveR

HSC
Secretnet customer service is tops, though I haven't had to exercise my warranty.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Remember, you are protected under the Trade Practices Act, so if the goods are faulty and the dealer is giving the cold shoulder, then you have some recourse.

I've never bought a PC from a big-name, always from little cheap dealers, and have never had any problems..so yeah it's not really that much of a risk if they're somewhat reputable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)