Was Minoan Crete Communist? (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I was just reading up on the whole palace economy thing, and it sounds like the palaces controlled both the modes of production (as evident in the bureaucratic distribution of livestock to farmers) as well as the product itself (as evident in the palace storages). Obviously the term 'Communism' had not yet been conceived, but was Minoa Crete involved in communal sharing of resources/produce?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Yes, the Palace Economy indeed does share quite a number of features that would reflect a communistic form of economy. Though, (from my reading of the topic) I can't recall any Minoan Historians out-right saying that Minoan Civilisation was communist. I think if you wanted to stand out to the markers in an exam (if there was an economy question) you could debate that there were many features of Minoan economy that would reflect a communist economy and communal sharing of resources/produce. But I wouldn't outright say "Minoans were communist" - I'd suggest that you say that they shared common features / elements to a communal economic lifestyle.

Fake-Name

HSC
Yes, the Palace Economy indeed does share quite a number of features that would reflect a communistic form of economy. Though, (from my reading of the topic) I can't recall any Minoan Historians out-right saying that Minoan Civilisation was communist. I think if you wanted to stand out to the markers in an exam (if there was an economy question) you could debate that there were many features of Minoan economy that would reflect a communist economy and communal sharing of resources/produce. But I wouldn't outright say "Minoans were communist" - I'd suggest that you say that they shared common features / elements to a communal economic lifestyle.
Thankyou for that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interpreting it wrong.
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)