Was school a total waste of Time? (1 Viewer)

Was School a Total Waste of Time

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Yes, but i had nothing better to do!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No, it was totaly fulfilling and i will feel empty when i leave!

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • No, Need school to get a good job, earn money, be sucessful.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Jin-17

I have to say yes and no to that question. I gained alot of friends and experience which I would have never gained from school. I may be the only person on this idea, but the HSC year really changed me and I am not the same person like I used to be the year before (Except after I finished the HSC). I am much more mature, use my time more and dont take things for granted or naive about things.
I have to admit though, that many of my friends, I probably wouldnt see again due to our paths being separted for the time being. Another thing that bugged me was some of the knowledge that we gained during the course WE NEVER USED IT IN EITHER THE TRIALS OR THE HSC. But I guess you will use it in real life

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yep... about 90% of my freinds i met thru school

and i've got some great stories from school

and some of the subjects were even ejoyable :)

(yep as in yep i agree with luigi_000)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
no, what else was I supposed to do? I needed to be desensitised to human society so I could function as a 'normal' human being.

actually, never knowing the feeling of "not going to school", how is it possible to determine whether it was a waste of time or not?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
school was never a waste of time, except for a good 3 weeks before the end of last term

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
It all goes down to experience dosent it. Its where we grow into acceptable members of society.

Put it this way: what else would we have done these past 6 years?

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by Jin-17
I may be the only person on this idea, but the HSC year really changed me and I am not the same person like I used to be the year before (Except after I finished the HSC). I am much more mature, use my time more and dont take things for granted or naive about things.
Nah dude, you're not the only one with this idea!
Although, a lot of people may not admit to it, or even realize it.

I'd have to say that the best years at High School for me would have to be Yr11 and Yr12, and Yr12 would be the best out of the two. The knowledge that I have gained throughout these two years may not always be useful in life, but I'm still grateful for knowing it.

I've also learnt that I love learning, but dislike studying :)

So nope, school was definitely not a waste of time for me :D

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
NO!!! And looking at that poll...
Damnit, you'll (almost) never have this many people together all the time again.

School is valuable for the friends you get. C'mon, would anyone seriously vote for just 'yes', looking at the wording of the question? ;p

You people might take friends for granted... try moving 8000km to a foreign country of a language which you don't speak naturally. Missed out on school for a few months... jumped half a grade, and landed in a place where no-one spoke your first language.

Seriously, there's nothing better than school. :p
[I haven't even started on how much I like learning. :p]

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
mmm... learning some things i enjoy, other things i see as a chore. for example: jane eyre. sorry, i just can't deal with that. everything else was pretty good stuff, especially art, my favourite subject (first day in year 7 i swore i'd drop it asap... but there you go)

Ronnie

School is definitely the best years of my life......

When else will you sit infront of a bottle shop waiting for someone to walk past who is willing to buy you alcohol?

When else do you get to play sport with your mates and experience the glory of winning and the agony of losing with the whole school watching and supporting you?

Where else would you form friendships that would last a life-time?

Where else would you find your identity?

The education side of school maybe boring and tedious but school is part of growing up... It's a place to go between weekends and frankly I'm glad that I've done as much possible to make my school life enjoyable

Christine

beige member
HSC
there are some things about school i'm really glad to leave behind (eg. the Stupid social heirachy!!)

but i will miss the learning part (not the assesments, exams, or homework tho)

Caitlen

No way

what would u do if you didnt go to school??
life would be so boring u would have no friends and how are u supposed to know what u want to be when u grow up if u dont have the experiences

i will miss school and all the friends i had that are just starting year 12 this year
its gonna be really weird not seeing your friends everyday of the week

bex

HSC
I dont think school was a waste of time.. As humans, we are life long learners- whether it be learning about a product, a concept or just learning our abilities and limitations. Formal schooling is just the foundation of a life fulll of learning.

A bit off the topic:

Christine- Social Heirachy occurs when people are too scared to say what they truly think and feel and those that arent afraid become the spokespeople for all of us whether we like it or not. Eventually the appeals of power is what pushes the same people to continue speaking for everyone.. no matter what the opinion. I understand youve had a rough time but its over now. Put it behind you and move on. High school is your past, move into the future and the surprises it will bring with an open heart and mind... Emotional wounds heal with time and now is your time to shine.

anomaly

YAY!!!:D I never thought I'd hear someone say they like learning but not studying :p So no I don't think that school was such a waste of time... I kinda have the urge to read through the options for physics and chem during the long three months of doing nothing... ok now I sound like a geek :rolleyes:

Sarah J

HSC
Nah, school wasn't a waste of time. well.... Maybe kindergarten was, seeing as we pretty much repeated everything we did at preschool.

What freaks me out is that, seeing as I started preschool when I was 2 1/2, I've been in school for all but 2 1/2 years of my life. That's a very very very long time (especially when you're only 17).

But nah, school was necessary.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah J
What freaks me out is that, seeing as I started preschool when I was 2 1/2, I've been in school for all but 2 1/2 years of my life. That's a very very very long time (especially when you're only 17).
Oh my god, NOW THATS SCARY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)