wat can i do at uni? (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
i have no idea wat i am eventually going to do at uni...
wat kind of possibilities do i have with the following subjects

4u maths
3u eng
phy

sdd
2u rel
i dont know if these are prerequisites for any courses.

my interest is in IT, but i have been hearing that a career in that industry is receeding in want.

on the other hand, commerce/business/law i hear appear to be the 'better' courses.

my uai will at best be low-mid 90's and at worst mid 80's

any suggestions as to what i can do?

thanks!

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You can do pretty much any course. Just get your hands on the UAC guide, and go through every singe course description from front to back, at all UNIs you would consider, circle all the "maybes", then slowly whittle down your list from there. It's a cumbersome task-but if you're unsure, it's the only way to go. It also lets you see a lot of options you would never have considered otherwise.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
You want "IT", you want "Commerce", how about Information Systems (and other similar subjects). These combine "Computing" with "Commerce" and usually have a UAI in the 80-90 range.

Rahul

Dead Member
butterfly_wings:
where can i get the UAC guide?
otherwise, thanks for the advice:)

mclake:
i'll check out those courses, but jus in general wat r they like?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Your school should get a copy of the UAC guide sent out... Actually, they send out enough so that every student gets their own book with a number of spares being left over...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
would you have any idea when they get sent out?
I'm not sure when they get sent out, but if you haven't got them already, you should get them soon.
But your school should still have last years around somewhere-we had a few in the library with some other UNI/Career related stuff, and our careers advisor had some too.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by McLake
In what way?
what i meant was what does Information Systems, and similar courses, offer in reference to careers and what are the general trends in that area(increasing/decreasing?)

and do u have any info from personal experiences of what the course is like.....hard/based on a certain subject/is good or bad because....etc. pretty much what u hear from other students.

thanks!:)

butterfly:
our school hasnt said anythign abt the UAC guide?!!?....maybe its on the net, sumwhere....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
what i meant was what does Information Systems, and similar courses, offer in reference to careers and what are the general trends in that area(increasing/decreasing?)

and do u have any info from personal experiences of what the course is like.....hard/based on a certain subject/is good or bad because....etc. pretty much what u hear from other students.

thanks!:)
OK.

In terms of carreers you can be anything from a computer lab technician through to a database administrator or a hardcore programer or a website designer. It is really flexable. In terms of jobs, well there is obviously a shortage AT THE MOMENT but by the time you have completed a 3-4 year course there may be more jobs.

IS/IT/BIT/Other commercy type subjects focus on how business relates to computers. They are less about programming and more about applying applications to business.

Comp Sci/SENG/Comp Eng are more about progreamming and the maths involved with that and how applications are written.

Personal Experience:

Varys for different people. But here are some genral trends:

-You need to have done at least 3U maths or you will have a lot of work to do in maths.
- No programming experince required (I have no formal experience, and very little informal experience)
- Consider combining your degree.
- Think about what kind of degree you want at the end of your course (BSc, BE or BCom)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Got the UAC guide during trials last year, so by the end of this month/early august you should have them. A library should have last year's copy if you just want a general indication... :)

Rahul

Dead Member
thanks maclake, jus one last question, i have no idea wat double degrees are. are they a combination of 2 courses?

thanks timmii....i'll ask the nazi librarians at my school once i get back

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Many people seem confused by this (including me, 1 year ago).

Combined degree are TWO SEPERATE DEGREES. They count as if you have done say a FULL BA and a FULL BSc. But how does that work?

- All courses have electives/general education
- Combine degrees use the other degree to fill the electives, and let you skip general eduction.

So the 30 free subjects you have in BA are used as BSc subjects, and vise versa. This is how you can complete 7 yrs of uni in 4 yrs.

Kittycat

HSC
thanks maclake, jus one last question, i have no idea wat double degrees are. are they a combination of 2 courses?

thanks timmii....i'll ask the nazi librarians at my school once i get back
nazi librarians? what? ... I mean...please explain...
& yeah, I think we are getting UAC guide on the first or second second week of term

Rahul

Dead Member
the librarians(well one actaully) are aboslute bitches! i mean we had a petition going around to fire them...lol. they dont have any respect for anyone either, coz they think they know everything....

and mclake, i think i know wat u mean. there are courses that all 'degrees' do. so by doing 2 u dont have to to the common courses twice?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
mclake, i think i know wat u mean. there are courses that all 'degrees' do. so by doing 2 u dont have to to the common courses twice?
Exactly.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
does other uni's other than UNSW have mandatory 'general education' ?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
MQ doesn't have a general education principle ... I have like no options. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)