Water Catchment Area (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
I seriously cannot find any information on the Warragamba Catchment, i have been searching for over a week and all i find is crap about how pretty it is....

does anyone know any good websites or other resources about the catchment, BTW its related to they local water supply dotpoint

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Info on warragamba catchment regarding

- the catchment area
- possible sources of contamination
- chemical tests available to determine levels and types of contaminants
- physical and chemical processes used to purify water
- chemical additives in the water and the reasons for the presence of these additives

Jaydels

HSC
How much detail should we go into with this dotpoint? I've written like two pages on it but I could go into so much more detail, but I'm not sure if its really necessary.

clever angel

HSC
do we have to write about warragamba dam for this dotpoint?

i have no idea what to write for this, i was thinking of calling up sydney water

Jaydels

HSC
clever angel said:
do we have to write about warragamba dam for this dotpoint?

i have no idea what to write for this, i was thinking of calling up sydney water
i think so....everyone at my school wrote about warragamba dam

Pace_T

HSC
just picture the dot point as a question in the HSC
its like 9 marks maximum or something like that (that's the biggest question i've seen so far in the HSC papers lol)
so that would be like 1.5 of the HSC chemistry pages. I think there would be very few different types of questions that can be asked for this point. so just write it like as if its an answer for like a 10 mark question or whatever.

in the resource section there's some notes on the warragamba dam one. i just finished doing this point from those notes lol.

Robbo_m8

This dot point says talk about local water supply, and as we have to do an assignment on this means i have to stick to the local idea. Does anyone have any good sites or places of info that comment on regional centres and their water supply. Particular emphisis on Murrimbidgee Catchement area if possible.

snoopy05

HSC
ah! we have to make a research assesment for this! and its due in 2days.

it stupidly asks you 'include some comparisons of sydney's water with accepted national standard' ........

i dont get that, and i dont intend to, but where can i find 'national standard? the main Sydneywater.com.au doesnt seem to help much,

thnx!!

kaito

HSC
well i dun think we hav to go into much detail...because our assessments going to be a 2min talk about the catchment area...so i guess we cant really go into too much detail..

bozic31

bozic
HSC
i have an assignment due in the next week an i need some information on possible sources of contamination to the warragamba dam, if anyone can gewt me info it would be very much appreciated

Riviet

HSC
N/A
bozic31 said:
i have an assignment due in the next week an i need some information on possible sources of contamination to the warragamba dam, if anyone can gewt me info it would be very much appreciated
The following is from Dreamerish's guide in the above thread:
Dreamerish*~ said:
FACTORS WHICH AFFECT CONCENTRATION OF IONS IN WATER

The Pathway from Rain to Water Body: Rain contains just a few ions - just small concentration of carbonate (from dissolved CO2) and some Na+, Cl- and SO42- ions from sea spray that winds carry into clouds. When rain runs off bushland into streams, it picks up small amounts of nitrates and phosphates from natural nutrients on the surface and perhaps small amounts of Ca2+ and Mg2+ from decomposing materials.

If, however, rain water soaks into the ground and flows through underground aquifers and then into a stream, it will contain increased amounts of these (and more) ions by dissolving them from the soils and rocks it flows through.

If water perculates down to deep underground aquifers, heavy metals and other metal ions may be absorbed.

The pH of Rain: Water from acidic rain is better able to leach certain cations such as calcium, magnesium and iron from the soil it passes over.

The Nature and Amount of Human Activity in the Catchment: Land clearing generally leads to more water rapidly running across the land into streams. This results in more dissolved Na+, K+, Ca2+, and more.

Aguicultural pursuits often lead to fertiliser run-off. This increases the concentration of nitrates and sulfates.

Discharges into the Water: Discharges of raw and/or treated sewage increases the concentration of many ions, particularly nitrates and sulphates. Even good sewage treatment can increase the TDS of the water by 200 ppms or more.

Storm-water runoff in urban areas can similarly increase the concentration of a variety of ions.

Industrial effluents, if carefully monitored and controlled, can discharge heavy metal ions into water bodies, such as lead, mercury and cadmium.

Leaching from Rubbish Dumps: When rain and storm water flows over and seeps through poorly designed rubbish dumps, it dissolves many harmful substances such as cadmium from nickel-cadmium batteries, mercury and lead from other batteries, zinc from old galvanised iron and anions such as nitrate and phosphate from decaying organic wastes are carried into streams.
Hope it helps.

swaller

HSC
does anyone know why aluminium is added to the water? (for the chemical additives part of this dot point)
thanks

nadzter

HSC
N/A
swaller said:
does anyone know why aluminium is added to the water? (for the chemical additives part of this dot point)
thanks
yeh mayne they put aluminium in the water to purify it mayne... i think...:confused:

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
Im doing the exact same assignment, and man those sites help. thx so much for posting them. Our focus is on Prospect Water Treatment Plant, and thr procceces that occur there. Apparently Prospect adds a particular flocculant to the water, and i need to name it however all i can ever get is that teh flocculant is added, not its name. Its quite vital because i then have to describe the chemical equations involving this flocculant and particular substances within the water. does any1 know what particular flocculant is added at Prospect?

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
Check Out The Resource Section On This Site .. Someones Did A Whole Assignment On Warragamba Catchment Area Its Really Good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)