wats WAM? (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
WAM is your weighted average mark,
I forgot how to calculate it, but go to Redrum's sig and download it

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Yep, they're different. That's all I've got to contribute to this discussion... (No idea when you use WAM; seeing it's weighted, maybe when you're applying for something that's looking at RECENT results, rather than long term (ie GPA -- it's only an average))

Tabris

HSC
Redrum will give some insight on how it works

I think it's a better judge of performance rathar than using GPA

i mean a person who gets al 74's compared to a perseon getting all 75 is treated the same when comparing a person getting 4 x 65 to the person with 4 x 75

1 mark difference and u might as well say that they one is a distinction averge and another is credit average,

but it is also confusing , it is possible to get a distinction WAM without having all distinctions....

In redrum's sig, theres a WAMGPA seeker, use that excel and fill in the blanks, it will give u your wam

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Philomena_86 said:
so how do u get your gpa????
Calculate yourself or use Estudent ;)

WAM = Weighted Average Mark

= All your marks / number of subject completed

Some universities like UNSW/USYD use WAM (or entry for some specialty courses) as its gives a more precise idea of how a student performs compared to another.

Eg.
Person 1 = Distinction Average (GPA 5) (Marks 75, 75, 75, 75, 75)
Person 2 = Distinction Average (GPA 5) (Marks 84, 84, 84, 84, 84)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
of course, you would need to take into account the number of credit points that the subject is worth. A subject that is worth 4 credit points has a greater weighting than a 3 credit point subject. Hence 'Weighted' average mark. So a more accurate measure would be:

total of (subject mark x credit point of subject) / total number of credit points.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
*presents sig*

cant really explain since i have to leave to try to drown the sorrows of sad exam results. :(

just would add that wam isnt used by mq, since we get sng's. the final mark we get arent the weighted results of our assessments (but is the standardised numerical grade)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
orangeguy said:
of course, you would need to take into account the number of credit points that the subject is worth. A subject that is worth 4 credit points has a greater weighting than a 3 credit point subject. Hence 'Weighted' average mark. So a more accurate measure would be:

total of (subject mark x credit point of subject) / total number of credit points.
The majority of Unis that I've seen have consitant Credit Point designations to all of its subjects. Only MQ (so far I've seen) has subjects that are not of equal value to any other.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
taken from somewhere on the uni of newcastle website.

Calculation of WAM

The WAM is calculated from the results of all courses that are counted towards the degree in which a student is enrolled, in the following manner: WAM = SUM( m* v* w )/SUM(v*w)

Where: m = the mark as defined below;
v = the unit value of the course concerned
w = the weighting of the course concerned as set out below.

The value of 'm' is defined as follows:

where the result in a course is given in the range 50 to 100 inclusive, 'm' is equal to that percentage mark;
where the result in a course is a failing grade, in the range 45 to 49 inclusive, 'm' is equal to that percentage mark;
where the result in a course is a failing grade, in the range of 0 to 44 inclusive, or is given as a FF (Fail) without any mark, 'm' is equal to a mark of 44;
where the result in a course is a passing grade (rather than a percentage mark), the mark 'm' will be deemed to be the relevant number listed below:

Grade m
HD 93
D 80
C 70
P 58
UP 58

The weighting for each course is indicated by the course code. The first number of a course code indicates the level at which the course is offered regardless of the year of study in which it is undertaken and, in relation to undergraduate Engineering, Surveying and Computer Science students, also indicates the weighting of the course in terms of the Weighted Average Mark (WAM) calculation. For example, if the course INFO1010 is taken in the fourth year of study, it is still considered a 1000 level course and the weighting will be 1.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
redrum, does your calculator work as above? weighting by year as well?

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
if it doesn't, use the simple excel sheet attatched in this post. It is a modified version of the sheet i made for calculating my WAM and should be pretty accurate

(the only changes i made were number of subjects per semester to 4 - i did 3 some semesters and 5 other semesters but most people will do 4. i also added the credit point value (V) because at newcastle, all subjects are equal CP value. My original sheet also calculated GPA but i couln't be bothered to modify it to MQ's weird system :p)

hope there aren't any mistakes in it :)

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
No, that is just an example case :p the grade cutoffs at newcastle are identical to the ones at MQ except there are no conceeded passes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)