Ways to manage stress for half-yearlies and HSC? :/ (1 Viewer)

Liv1712

HSC
What are some good ways to manage stress and anxiety during exams that actually work? During exams, I tend to get flustered and in preparation for my half-yearlies, it's gotten to the point where I may sit down and do six hours of revision/preparation, but still feel that it is not enough. I actually feel guilty for doing anything that's NOT revision...I've tried planning slots for reivision and downtime, but it doesn't seem to work, and I'm getting really stressed.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Capt Rifle

HSC
I am in the same situation as you :(...
I think food is the only thing keeping me happy lol.

Liv1712

HSC
I am in the same situation as you :(...
I think food is the only thing keeping me happy lol.
Chocolate is my savior at the moment lol >_<
Any study I do is counter-productive for me at the moment...good to know I'm not the only one, though :/

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Having been through the HSC, I would say that playing a musical instrument or going for a walk (to clear your head) would help immensely.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
FORCE yourself to take breaks... if thats 6 hours straight study you're doing you need to break it up. watch some tv, play some games, go outside, play an instrument, do one of your hobbies. keep calm and think about the hsc in the long run. try not to freak out now or you might be even worse for the actual hsc exams...
n.b. food isn't a great vice for studying

HSC
half yearly's is only for 2 weeks, man-up, study hard and get through it because with this mentality u will get crushedin the real world
Just saying...

starshine02

HSC
Definitely take small breaks during studying or you'll get stressed from the amount of work you're doing. usually something like a 10-15 minute break would be nice. Also you should still do some activities that you enjoy doing even during assessment period because those can really help in relaxing you. And don't forget to get enough sleep and eat healthily too

choiyokbao

HSC
try taking a break once in a while during your studies, do something you like during those breaks (like play games XD) or set a goal of what you want to study and once you reach it, just stop studying for the rest of the day. Its pretty much what i did lol

HSC
Well, there is a really good technique that I use for studying called the Pomodoro technique (Spainish for 'tomato') where for every 20 minutes that you study, you have a 5 minute break to relax, eat something or do something else extra curricular. Gradually, the more 20 minute sessions that you take, you get a longer break that is double the amount of time in your last break. E.g., first 20 min. session = 5 minutes, second session = 10, third = 20 until the fourth session is a full forty minutes. After this one, you repeat the cycle from the beginning. I find this technique really, really useful especially if I have an urge to create some art, or if I have a stressful day and need some down time. There are plenty of Pomodoro apps for iPhone and iPads, and you can also google the site's timer for a desktop counter.

If you feel the stress during the exams, talk to your supervisors for the exams and ask for Special Provisions. If you tend to feel cramps on your hand during the exam, ask if you can have a 5 minute break per half hour of each exam, and in order to apply for it you need a doctor's certificate or other substantial evidence that you are experiencing extreme stress during the exams (i.e. anxiety attacks). This form of provisions are perfectly acceptable during the HSC, and won't have any effect on your final marks and ATAR.

If you aren't stressed to that extent, go and talk to your school counselor or year supervisor and let them know of the stress you are going through. I hope that helps you a bit!

SunnyScience

HSC
1. Go for a walk (it really does help)
2. Have a shower/ bath
3. Play your music really loud and dance around like a moron in your room until you're happy and stress free. (proven to work)

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
1. Go for a walk (it really does help)
2. Have a shower/ bath
3. Play your music really loud and dance around like a moron in your room until you're happy and stress free. (proven to work)
Here is how you really can get motivated, guys I am seriously, this works.

Whenever you start studying, think of something you really enjoy. Then keep on think about this till you have finished all your study. Then do this thing that you really enjoyed doing after you have done your study. This will allow you to study Hard and also enjoy yourself after studying. Kepp doing this everyday, till it becomes a habit. Seriously it works- no jokes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)