Wealthy dominate Selective Schools (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Co op scholarship requires one to work at least for about 1.5 years (3 placements * half a year each). Assuming they are paid over 4 years, that's $60k all up. You get better money working full time at Maccas.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Co op scholarship requires one to work at least for about 1.5 years (3 placements * half a year each). Assuming they are paid over 4 years, that's $60k all up. You get better money working full time at Maccas.
The reason Co-Op Scholarships are worthwhile is because of the shit you learn and the people you meet throughout them, not due to the money involved. You're forced into getting strong marks, whilst getting to network into the industry, learn a lot more than what uni can teach you and getting paid for it. Focusing solely on the immediate monetary outcome is short-sighted and detracts from the purpose of the Co-Op Program.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The point I was getting at is that the coop scholarship isn't just handing money out but it involves more than that and it's a two way street.

Read any of my other posts on BoS- I'm an advocate of the coop programs (and cadetships).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
University is a different kettle of fish all together, by that stage a person is pretty much responsible for creating their own opportunities, primary school children are not.
no primary school can ever make up for having stupid parents, at least not on a collective basis

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
When are we going to talk about the elephant in the room? Asian privilege is so entrenched in the education system in Australia, whites don't stand a chance. Asians in Australia actually bring their kids up to believe that their IQ average is higher than the roundeye average, especially on the spatial tests, leading to their advantage in math and science. I was in China Town the other week and one shop said "NO GAIJIN." I tell ya what..

Attachments

Lentern

HSC
no primary school can ever make up for having stupid parents, at least not on a collective basis
Nobody believes that any of the policies they advocate are going to create some Utopian paradise of wealth and prosperity where we all love each other always. Early schooling can mitigate the impacts of the disparity in upbringings from household to household.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I was in China Town the other week and one shop said "NO GAIJIN." I tell ya what..
You can't be serious? Only the Japanese use that term Gaijin (from the Chinese "wai ren") for foreigners or outsiders. Which shop in Chinatown?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Find me a university student that actually has the option of working full time? University students don't get full time work in retail (unless they become a manager and lets face it, being a manager involves really shitty working conditions). It's interesting that you bring up McDonalds as an example. University students are simply too expensive to get work there. Uni students might have a shot if they work at a 24hr Maccas, but even then you are stuck with shit work hours.

Last edited:

qawe

HSC
N/A
Internet_Police;5750742but I would be more than happy supporting[B said:
a hard worker[/B] from a financially disadvantaged family. I would much rather help them then some arrogant snob from James Ruse (A good example is the user "duckcowhybird", if he still visits this site)
the problem is... how do you know who this is?

JayCakie

HSC
It's a sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned. There are better things money can be spent on by poorer families than sending their kids to tutoring because they don't trust their intellect. It over-inflates a child's performance and they will end up struggling in university (I know it happens).
[Without going off tangent from this discussion - I find this to be very true. At first, I thought that this was just a rumour but since starting University I have noticed that this is occurring frequently. So many overly tutored (e.g. going to tutoring since early primary school) students cannot cope very well in university or are struggling because of the independent nature of studying that is required in certain subjects. But obviously, my statement is just a generalisation - not true for everyone.]

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Nobody believes that any of the policies they advocate are going to create some Utopian paradise of wealth and prosperity where we all love each other always. Early schooling can mitigate the impacts of the disparity in upbringings from household to household.
how about we stop subsidising the reproduction of poor (stupid) people

nahi11

HSC
About half of all selective schools (in NSW anyway) require for student's to sit a selective test which has no relation to the NSW syllabus. It is essentially an IQ/ problem solving test. Socio-economic status does play a role but still there isn't any excuses.

It's more attitude than anything else. Going to a selective school doesn't guarantee a great ATAR.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
eat the rich, disfigure the beautiful, cripple the talented

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
[Without going off tangent from this discussion - I find this to be very true. At first, I thought that this was just a rumour but since starting University I have noticed that this is occurring frequently. So many overly tutored (e.g. going to tutoring since early primary school) students cannot cope very well in university or are struggling because of the independent nature of studying that is required in certain subjects. But obviously, my statement is just a generalisation - not true for everyone.]
I've seen quite a bit of that too but at each stage of the education process there have been a lot of people saying "you can't rote learn" or "you can't get through with relying on tutoring" but I've finished post graduate studies now and even then I still think people can get by with cramming and tutoring (although admittedly it does become a lot harder).

Kent12

HSC
N/A
Lentern there is a reason why everyone wants to fight you, because they know that they will win. You have the intelligence of a doorknob. Shut your mouth and pull out whatever is jammed up your anus

Lentern

HSC
Lentern there is a reason why everyone wants to fight you, because they know that they will win. You have the intelligence of a doorknob. Shut your mouth and pull out whatever is jammed up your anus
oooooooh

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah, actually

even you would be infuriated by that episode's utter assininity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)