web server info (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
Does anyone know of this?
http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/
I know almost nothing about server but that might be useful for you guys
although my other purpose of posting this is to ask if that is good and secure...

also, http://www.no-ip.com/ seems really good and might be a useful alternative to cjb.net coz it has no ads and offers more domain alternatives

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
As interesting as I find it, I'll stick with Apache, simply because it seems to be Windows only, and I see no mention of ASP.

I'll give it a look though. Thanks for the heads up.

mojako

HSC
Can Apache be run under Windows btw? I might be able to know this from google but Im too lazy at the moment... and I wont be needing a server in the next weeks.

If you want to make a web server but dont want to dedicate a separate PC to do so, what's the best option??

Winston

HSC
mojako said:
Can Apache be run under Windows btw? I might be able to know this from google but Im too lazy at the moment... and I wont be needing a server in the next weeks.

If you want to make a web server but dont want to dedicate a separate PC to do so, what's the best option??
Of course it can, Apache is basically the framework which php runs off.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
mojako said:

Linux Box, Probably RH 9, or Fedora Core 1 or 2. Apache Server. :) PHP, MySQL :) Can run an ASP plugin for it too...

If you want MSSQL then you'll need to get a Windows Box... I'd recommend 2k or 2kserver.

mojako

HSC
Protector said:
Linux Box, Probably RH 9, or Fedora Core 1 or 2. Apache Server. :) PHP, MySQL :) Can run an ASP plugin for it too...

If you want MSSQL then you'll need to get a Windows Box... I'd recommend 2k or 2kserver.
I said I didnt want to buy a computer (or the CPU box or whatever) just for a web server. I want to use my existing PC that I will also use personally.

Anyway, do you think it's essential to have a hardware firewall if you're running a web server?

sunny

meh.
HSC
No, hardware firewalls aren't really necessary.

mojako

HSC
do you have that?
just for my statistics ^^

Now that I re-think of the situation...
If I put a standard cheap firewall (eg that included in an ADSL modem, with limited configurations I guess...), will it allow web requests??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)