weight training - necessary to work stomach? (1 Viewer)

Chris.

HSC
ive been doing weights but have realized i never work out my stomach muscles.
is it necessary?
i dont even want a 6 pack

HSC
Doing muscle training on your stomach wont necessarily give you a 6pack unless you train really hard and focus on that area. It will just tone you all round the area. But its not 'necessary', if you dont want to do it.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
fly.away.fairy said:
Doing muscle training on your stomach wont necessarily give you a 6pack unless you train really hard and focus on that area. It will just tone you all round the area. But its not 'necessary', if you dont want to do it.
Uh, no. The way you'll get a "6-pack" is if you reach a low body fat percentage (different on everyone).

Chris.

HSC
Optophobia said:
What do you mean by "is it necessary?"?

Is weight training at all necessary?

Only you can really answer your question, because nobody here has insight into your mind.

6 packs r hot :cool:
i meant would it physically harm me in the long-run if i weight trained my whole body and not my stomach

a 6 pack would look weird on me i think...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Chris. said:
i meant would it physically harm me in the long-run if i weight trained my whole body and not my stomach

a 6 pack would look weird on me i think...
Why would it physically harm you? You over do the weights and your upper body gains so much muscle mass that it collapses in on your stomach causing serious internal organ damage?
If you're going to do weights, why wouldn't you take a little bit of time to exercise your stomach?

Predd

UAI99.55 Personal Trainer
HSC
I would always suggest to train abdominals unless there is a contraindication associated with training this muscle group, such as an injury.

Training the rectus abdominus (ie. the 6-pack muscle) will provide extra stability to your abdominal area. Let's say that you become very strong in all other muscle groups but remain weak in the rectus abdominus. The abdominals will therefore be the "weakest link" and could pose a higher change of injury.

I would also consider performing core related exercises in order to build up the supporting muscles around the spine (including the transverse abdominus, multifidus spinae, erector spinae). Particularly when lifting weights, these muscles prevent back injury by supporting a neutral spinal position (ie. good posture). Some great core exercises include fit-ball exercises, prone holds etc. Some more advanced exercises that are great for the core include weighted squats and lunges.

If you are focussed on a great overall physique, the abdominals are definitely an important part of it. If all your other muscles are well developed and then you have no abdominals, this can look quite odd. However, you won't have a 6-pack unless your body fat is quite low - not as a direct result of training the rectus abdominus.

And trust me...chicks dig a 6 pack :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Maybe you should tell us why exactly you are weight training? if its for fitness you might be better off going for a run. If its to impress the ladies, then yeah work on your stomach. If its for i dunno, ease of lifting at work [i remember i used to work out for that] then you really need to work all your muscle groups.

Chris.

HSC
Predd said:
I would always suggest to train abdominals unless there is a contraindication associated with training this muscle group, such as an injury.

Training the rectus abdominus (ie. the 6-pack muscle) will provide extra stability to your abdominal area. Let's say that you become very strong in all other muscle groups but remain weak in the rectus abdominus. The abdominals will therefore be the "weakest link" and could pose a higher change of injury.

I would also consider performing core related exercises in order to build up the supporting muscles around the spine (including the transverse abdominus, multifidus spinae, erector spinae). Particularly when lifting weights, these muscles prevent back injury by supporting a neutral spinal position (ie. good posture). Some great core exercises include fit-ball exercises, prone holds etc. Some more advanced exercises that are great for the core include weighted squats and lunges.

If you are focussed on a great overall physique, the abdominals are definitely an important part of it. If all your other muscles are well developed and then you have no abdominals, this can look quite odd. However, you won't have a 6-pack unless your body fat is quite low - not as a direct result of training the rectus abdominus.

And trust me...chicks dig a 6 pack :D
im not a full pro like you! lol..all i have is a few weights lying, dumbells, and a benchpress. wat are sum exercises to work the stomach that dont involve situps and bending your back. thats wat im worried about. doing it wrong and screwing up my back. No money for gym membership right now....:(

NinjaSauce

HSC
jb_nc said:
Uh, no. The way you'll get a "6-pack" is if you reach a low body fat percentage (different on everyone).
Ding ding ding!

We have a winnah!

People, Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Depending on your training, you might be getting a enough ab work, then again, possibly not [infinite variations]. Do you Squat, Deadlift, overhead press/push/jerk [decently] ? These are great abdominal exercises.

but I assure you, regardless of your goal. Strength, size, or health. visible abs is a very, very poor measure of success or progress, and definately not something 'helpful' to your goals.

Bulking with abs is a fool's errand.
Few strong lifters have cut abs [though, the infamous 'mono-ab' can occur].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)