weights and joint damage (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
hey ppl

I have started a regime to 'get bigger' and as i was advised, am doing high weight and low reps...

however i am a lil worried that i may cause damage to my joints as i hav had a little bit of pain in my shoulder. I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to kno if im doing damage and how to avoid it.

ty

Ps: can somebody direct me to a site that has good explanations for weight training exercises. Also, has anybody used MRM Massive Muscle Gainer Protein, how do u rate it?

Last edited:

micuzzo

HSC
^ i dont no if that works or not but its rather impractical.

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
nah it's all about maximising what you have

ie. you start to lift while in the water so it's only moderately heavy

then once you advance you can start to do military style presses/curls where the weights come out of the water

Tim035

HSC
If you have bad shoulders, go easy on standing military and bench press. If you tear your rotator cuffs, your shoulders are never the same again.

micuzzo

HSC
If you have bad shoulders, go easy on standing military and bench press. If you tear your rotator cuffs, your shoulders are never the same again.
whats this? sorry im a real newb so pls do explain

PSHL

HSC
Theres a few things you can do.
The first and most obvious is to start with lighter weights and build up. I dont mean REALLY light weights, just not going for max weights just yet.

Also make sure your using correct technique - use the mirror and have someone check your form is good. Also don't move the weight by jerking or moving too fast.

One guy above said something about rotator cuffs. It would be a good idea to do some exercises for your rotator cuffs in your routine (on shoulder day if this is in ur split) check out Rotator Cuff Exercises and Forearm Exercises

micuzzo

HSC
^oh theres no damage [i think] just felt a tiny bit sore the other day so i want to ensure i dont wreck anything in future lol

Tim035

HSC
If it was a burning sensation it could just be from having not isolated that muscle group under load before. If it's a sharp, pinching kind of pain or your shoulders feel really clunky or are cracking as you do the movement then you need to re-evaluate your form.

BillEvans

HSC
+1

although
to increase muscle mass asap you should be getting burning sensation every workout - the more u burn your muscles up the stronger they will grow back - thas th humn body fr you - handy much?

obvsly thers a limit

yes u will be sore as hell for the nxt day or 2 but that'll get better over time - that means weeks, months most likely

Last edited:

micuzzo

HSC
If it was a burning sensation it could just be from having not isolated that muscle group under load before. If it's a sharp, pinching kind of pain or your shoulders feel really clunky or are cracking as you do the movement then you need to re-evaluate your form.
it was a slight soreness between my shoulder joint... its gone now... i think it may have occurred because i had too much weight when performing tricep pull downs...

however every now and then i do feel and hear a sort of cracking when i move my arms and shoulders, theres no pain tho.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
that's probably not a good sign.
maybe see a doctor or something.

if it starts hurting during a workout, then you should stop immediately before you damage yourself badly.

my left shoulder sometimes clicks when i do upright barbell rows. At first it doesnt hurt, but after a while it does, then i stop.
might be some hereditary thing i got from my mum, since she gets shoulder problems.

quik.

HSC
Watch some technique videos and practise (with the bar only etc). Really practise. There is a lot to a bench press (probably the most common exercise ever apart from curls) that people don't realise, for example. Doing it wrong will tear up your shoulders nicely.

If you have a video camera, film yourself and post it up somewhere with knowledgeable people and ask them to critique your form

If you still have joint pain when you are p sure your form is correct, see a physio (preferably one that has a bit of sporting background)

Omie is correct, also... pain is your bodies method of telling you that what you are doing is causing harm. If you feel actual pain (not muscle working hard stuff), stop

micuzzo

HSC
^ hmm ok... i guess i should get tips from the trainers at the gym...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)