Weird Error ... Windows Explorer freezes (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Hay guys,

When I open windows explorer and locate an avi file, it freezes up both windows explorer and winamp. This even happens if I put the mouse over the file and not click it .... The error message is attached... have to ctr+alt+del to end programs.

However, if right click the file and select to open the file with total video player it will play, so long as I do not click "ok" on the error message ...

Also, on a friends computer the SAME file (Copy/pasted) behaves normally.

Anyone know why the file behavs like this, and how I can make it be normal?

Cheers,
Ac

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It can sometimes have to do with conflicting codecs installed on your computer (like DivX, XviD, etc). Obviously you can have multiple ones installed but sometimes if you accidently install 2 versions of the same one it can screw some things up. Windows Explorer usually does a preview of the video (even if it don't click on it it sometimes prepares one anywasy) and this would require it to find the required codec. Besides that I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. A similar thing happened to be with a video using the INDEO 5 codec, so I'm just guessing here.

Shervin

HSC
After looking up your problem on google I found that if you go to Start > Run > then type “regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll " then that might fix the problem.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Cheers mate.

That indeed turns off the windows preview thing which was making the comp. freeze by even browings the folder's contents.

Winamp still freezes when I double-click the file to run it though (only total video player can run it, which will have to do I suppose.)

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)