• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what are my chances, based purely on academic results? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi everyone. i have the following scores in UMAT:
s1 63
s2 47 <---- <50 means UQLD is not an option sadly
s3 62
total 172
overall 57 (83%ile fml)

Enter score: 99.60

now i am aware that my UMAT score is quite low which unfortunately excluded me from many universities (getting below 50 in section 2 sucked arse as well). however, i'm hoping my reasonably good enter score may offset my UMAT score to some degree? based purely on my academic results, what would you say my chances for entry are at the following universities? i know an interview is taken into consideration but ignoring that for now....

Bond University (i heard the cutoffs are lower? however, i've also heard that entry's still extremely competitive)
University of Adelaide (both med+dent, barely made the cutoff for 1st round LOL)
La Trobe Dentistry
Griffith dentistry
University of NSW (provided i net myself a second round interview... apparently they came out friday so i may have missed out but i will still enquire)

i know this is very opinionated and i probably shouldn't be thinking much about this as there's nothing i can do from here on, but i would really like some feedback :) thanks guys

Last edited:

Doomah

HSC
griffith is alright, 3 years oral then 2 year postgrad. still 5 years, only thing is you pay full fees for the last 2 years, but who cares you make it back up in 6 months of working

lifequest

HSC
At the very least you'll be accepted at La Trobe Dentistry.
Hope to see you here next year. It is a fantastic course.

HSC
N/A
At the very least you'll be accepted at La Trobe Dentistry.
Hope to see you here next year. It is a fantastic course.
yeah i'm really interested in La Trobe and its dental science course, but i'm not sure if 99.60 will be enough for a 2nd or 3rd round offer because it's now the only dental school in vic. :/ but yeah, i will wait and find out i guess :)

lifequest

HSC
yeah i'm really interested in La Trobe and its dental science course, but i'm not sure if 99.60 will be enough for a 2nd or 3rd round offer because it's now the only dental school in vic. :/ but yeah, i will wait and find out i guess :)
2bd/3rd round offers were 99.30 this year.
Even though Melbourne University won't be accepting Dental students this year - and permanently converting to a post graduate course, I doubt 2nd/3rd rounds will exceed 99.50.

You're in buddy.
I have a few people who've PMed about their fantastic ENTERs and hoping to come to La Trobe's Dentistry course.
Can't wait to meet you all.

HSC
N/A
2bd/3rd round offers were 99.30 this year.
Even though Melbourne University won't be accepting Dental students this year - and permanently converting to a post graduate course, I doubt 2nd/3rd rounds will exceed 99.50.

You're in buddy.
I have a few people who've PMed about their fantastic ENTERs and hoping to come to La Trobe's Dentistry course.
Can't wait to meet you all.
ah thanks for the kind words. i guess i'll sit tight for 2nd/3rd round offers. fingers crossed.

JCU dent offers are also being released relatively soon (they're apparently going to start calling people sometime this week) and i hope i have a chance there (however, being a city boy, i'm not exactly the kind they're looking for... whatever happened to Australia being the nation of fair go :().

and doomah, while the GU debt will be nothing compared to Bond, $100k is still a LOT of money. i'm afraid "6 months" is a bit of an exaggeration. :p but yeah, it won't take THAT long to pay off, and in my opinion, ANY dentistry/medicine degree is priceless.

Zephyrio

HSC
I think definitely call UNSW up and ask them how it's going with your application. I know a friend of mine received around 99.60 and around 70th percentile and got a 2nd round interview.

HSC
N/A
I think definitely call UNSW up and ask them how it's going with your application. I know a friend of mine received around 99.60 and around 70th percentile and got a 2nd round interview.
i got it sorted. it's cos interstate applicants are interviewed in late jan so it's all good. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)