• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what are my chances in undergrad law? (1 Viewer)

HSC
looks like my chances were 100%.. i got in! but now im twiching between anu and unsw law/comm dfee!

mudcake42

HSC
just a question...people talk about the alternate ways into ANU ... what is EAS??

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Ok well the main way is to get in through the UAC (with your UAI). Failing that it depends on your circumstances. there are forms on the anu website that can help. Theres one about "special circumstances" i.e. special consideration because of..(family).. etc. Also if you're in a disadvantaged i.e. aborigonal, come from a rural community etc - there are other benifits. I'm not sure if that is processed through ANU or UAC. Sorry thats all i know. Search the anu website, see what you find. Otherwise drop them an email at uni.accom@anu.edu.au

unco_wannabe

HSC
hey peoples
i got 91.80 hoping for law/arts ...im doing the Unitest on the 7th...
anyone got idea's on what i should do? e.g how to prepare and stuff

also ...if i do well...is there chance of me getting in? or am i totaly F**kd

cheers

Metric

HSC
N/A
You certainly stand a chance seeing as your UAI is within 5 points of the cut-off, and ANU claims that "if your UAI/Entrance Rank is within 5 points of the cut off and you score in the top 20%, you may receive an offer to a degree that has a higher cut off" (from here). I'm not too sure what you can do in terms of preperation, aside from making sure that you can do all the sample questions.

unco_wannabe

HSC
Antioch said:
You certainly stand a chance seeing as your UAI is within 5 points of the cut-off, and ANU claims that "if your UAI/Entrance Rank is within 5 points of the cut off and you score in the top 20%, you may receive an offer to a degree that has a higher cut off" (from here). I'm not too sure what you can do in terms of preperation, aside from making sure that you can do all the sample questions.

thanks dude.
it says 20 percent..now would you think it would be better if 5000 people did it..or 50 people? i mean if ur a competant borderline student..strategically if more people did it...it would be to your advantage ASSUMING those people are a normal bunch correct?
.or would it be better if 50 people did it ..?
hmmm

not sure :S

Metric

HSC
N/A
I think that the majority of people sitting the uniTEST will be people who scored in the low 70s (who are aiming for the generic courses with cut-offs of 75) and the low 90s (who are aiming for law or actuarial studies with cut-offs of 95). Hopefully for you there are lots of the former, meaning you should find it easier to score in the top 20% as you already beat most of them in the HSC (though, of course, UAIs are hardly indicative of intelligence).

I wouldn't worry about the strategically optimal number of students to compete with, seeing as you have little say in the matter! I except there to be a fair few students sitting the uniTEST, definately more than 50 but probably a lot less than 5000.

unco_wannabe

HSC
lol thanks dude .true uai isnt an intelligence test

argh i guess i dont have control..i hope i do well :)
ive seen some sample questions for like 'critical reasoning' some are okay..but some are really gay..i guess it really matters how u feel that day

cheers

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Antioch said:
I think that the majority of people sitting the uniTEST will be people who scored in the low 70s (who are aiming for the generic courses with cut-offs of 75) and the low 90s (who are aiming for law or actuarial studies with cut-offs of 95). Hopefully for you there are lots of the former, meaning you should find it easier to score in the top 20% as you already beat most of them in the HSC (though, of course, UAIs are hardly indicative of intelligence).

I wouldn't worry about the strategically optimal number of students to compete with, seeing as you have little say in the matter! I except there to be a fair few students sitting the uniTEST, definately more than 50 but probably a lot less than 5000.
correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you're competing against anyone in the unitest. you're only there to get a mark out of 100 or something.

unco_wannabe

HSC
jas0nt said:
correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you're competing against anyone in the unitest. you're only there to get a mark out of 100 or something.

well the thing is jason in a sense its your 'rank' *yeh oh bloody hell..'rankings..hsc...trial....*shudders * * it says the top 20 percent so pray for to ur lucky stars that the group doing the exam arent all geniuses because that then pushes ur possible ranking down.-assuming ur a normal student- so in a sense yeh u get ur marks out of 100...but then * i think..from what i have read* they would rank u then decide. just my theory ..not 100 percent sure :S

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
unco_wannabe said:
well the thing is jason in a sense its your 'rank' *yeh oh bloody hell..'rankings..hsc...trial....*shudders * * it says the top 20 percent so pray for to ur lucky stars that the group doing the exam arent all geniuses because that then pushes ur possible ranking down.-assuming ur a normal student- so in a sense yeh u get ur marks out of 100...but then * i think..from what i have read* they would rank u then decide. just my theory ..not 100 percent sure :S
well the test is an "aptitude" test, meaning it's there to gauge your suitability into a course, not how suitable you are compared to others.

Metric

HSC
N/A
jas0nt said:
I don't actually know, my assumption was based upon ANU's claim that "if ... you score in the top 20% you may receive an offer to a degree that has a higher cut off". So the question is, does that mean scoring in the top 20% of your cohort or an overall mark of at least 80%?

unco_wannabe

HSC
Antioch said:
I don't actually know, my assumption was based upon ANU's claim that "if ... you score in the top 20% you may receive an offer to a degree that has a higher cut off". So the question is, does that mean scoring in the top 20% of your cohort or an overall mark of at least 80%?
gday Antioch
top 20% means that..everyone does the exam..then everyone is ranked from
highest to lowest mark....then they see how many candidates there are
they find out how many people = 20% and that number is what u have to be in

for example
500 do the exam
only 100 people can be in the top 20% therefore
u need to be in the first 100.

if ur cohort for example performed REALLY poorly and got marks in the 60's on average
and u score a mark of 90 then u will have a higher rank.
however if ur in a very smart cohort who all get 90 then u need to do very well..so even if u get a mark of 95/100 (for example) yet EVERYONE else got 96+ then u wont make it in...

i think thats how it works

cheers

kfay

HSC
Hey,
I applied for Laws/arts (IR) as a first preference and in the first round offers recieved an offer for IR, my uai was 90.15 but I have applied for athleat allowence which is an extra 5 points. I have accepted my first round offer and was wondering if that is it or if I have any chance at all of still getting into laws. Unfortantely I missed the uni test as I was overseas.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
kfay said:
Hey,
I applied for Laws/arts (IR) as a first preference and in the first round offers recieved an offer for IR, my uai was 90.15 but I have applied for athleat allowence which is an extra 5 points. I have accepted my first round offer and was wondering if that is it or if I have any chance at all of still getting into laws. Unfortantely I missed the uni test as I was overseas.
i'm guessing probably not much chance at this stage, but the best thing for you to do would be to phone up ANU and ask about it.

remember, you can always do plain IR for a year and then change degrees if your average is good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)