What are my chances? (1 Viewer)

Aaron1911

Selling badges? Collecting donations? Daffodills? How on earth does that make you a better doctor? No offence to Med students or anything but thats bullshit.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Aaron1911
Selling badges? Collecting donations? Daffodills? How on earth does that make you a better doctor? No offence to Med students or anything but thats bullshit.
I have never understood the reasoning behind it either:p.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
i thought way less try out
consider there is like 50000 people doing the HSC, 5% gets the 95%+ but realistically only you need 98%+, so that's about 1000 people. And not all the 1000 people will want to do med. So i'm thinking maybe 400 or so. Considering oversea students, mabye 600 or so? Sound reasonable?
No. You have failed to take into account the other states, and the hopelessly hopeful. 400 or so would be the amount of people who are awarded interviews.
Originally posted by Merethrond
What makes you think that only HSC leavers apply for Life Membership;)?
She was talking about Medicine at UNSW.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Aaron1911
GENUINE assistance to charities usually shows a compassionate streak, or at the very least a willingness to help others. I would be worried if my doctor had neither of these traits.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
problem?
top 10% of students get over 93.5 UAI

DUN SCREW UP URE UMAT.. classmate with 99.95 still didnt get it cos of umat..but a good uai doesnt hurt

ACTUALLY find out wat doctors do!!!!!!!!!!
DO community service.... GET a senior first aid cert..
consider other methods of entering medicine too!?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Hehe yeah Jin...but he'd be a shitty doctor.
lolz could be worse.. :D i could be ure doctor

but remember even a UAI of a 100 doesnt gurantee it
but then +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ did and shes a psychopath.. so dun take my word for it

Wohzazz

HSC
No. You have failed to take into account the other states, and the hopelessly hopeful. 400 or so would be the amount of people who are awarded interviews.
How many can actually students can come from other states. I doubt they make up the majority of the bulk of students. I still can't believe more than 1000 people actually try out for med at a single uni(like UNSW)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
heaps of ppl do the 'med circuit' lik 400 or so apply to multiple unis..
if ure stuff isnt good enough for med? consider dentistry.. its actualli better but the demand by students isnt very high.
cheers!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
and the government is thinking of legislating to protect places for South Australians.
Thats getting out of control, its not like they are from another country, they will still (probably) performing medicine in Australia its like colonial times.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
Yeah, but trouble is Adelaide is now having to import doctors from other states
Lol sounds like they are food or something. Anyway Adelaide needs to be made more appealing than other places if they want doctors, like rural areas do.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, Adelaide is very attractive already, hence the high volume of interstate applicants. the problems lie in a lack of appeal to SA students (ie not as many want medicine) and a lower standard of performance against NSW and Victorian applicants. Not calling SA types dumb, of course. Adelaise simply offered places to the best candidates, and more of those just happened to come from interstate this time around.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
heaps of ppl do the 'med circuit' lik 400 or so apply to multiple unis..
if ure stuff isnt good enough for med? consider dentistry.. its actualli better but the demand by students isnt very high.
cheers!
hmm, ok..but it sound to me that not all the people that apply are actually competing with me who is only applying for UNSW, since they will some will probably be offered places elsewhere

dentistry...i think i like that. How do you get in? UAI? Special application? (is it the UMAT or something similar) What unis in SYdney?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
hmm, ok..but it sound to me that not all the people that apply are actually competing with me who is only applying for UNSW, since they will some will probably be offered places elsewhere
Nah, when people are given the choice, they almost inevitable take UNSW over anything else. Except for a handful of people who live interstate and get offers there as well that is.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

dentistry...i think i like that. How do you get in? UAI? Special application? (is it the UMAT or something similar) What unis in SYdney?
Unsw has a good repuation and alumni.. so even ppl in who get other closer offers may leave their state

Dentistry is similar to med.. and the applicants too..
they are no courses for yr 12 school leavers to enrol in NSW

uni for school leavers? = all 5 years
Uni of Melb
Uni of Adel
Uni of West Aust
Griffith Uni ( not a BDS.. its a automatic masters and cost heaps)

For
Uni of Queensland- min. 1 year in an approved B science course.
uni of Syd - graduate entry

thats all i kno about..

Last edited:

Wohzazz

HSC
Nah, when people are given the choice, they almost inevitable take UNSW over anything else. Except for a handful of people who live interstate and get offers there as well that is.
haha, oh well, i'll probably won't get in in that case

Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+

Dentistry is similar to med.. and the applicants too..
they are no courses for yr 12 school leavers to enrol in
graduate? ok then

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
whats the uai for dentistry?
above 96 in adelaide.. i think not too sure.. but its usualli the highest UAi + highest Umat + interview .. so lik generalli above 90 will allow u to be competitive... i got about 99.. but my mate from WA got 96.. so like it realli depends on the way u impress them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)