• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what are my uai chances? (1 Viewer)

julz1245

I'm in my last year now, doing 4 units english, legal studies, italian beginners and general maths. Whoa, even typing that makes me feel almost bad. I realize these subjects aren't scaled well, but at present I'm in very good ranking for all of them (within top 5 for everything except english advanced, which is 7th) - and aiming to improve. My career advisor made a general estimate with my rankings so far that I could have gotten a uai roughly in the low 90's.
Do you think it's possible for me to get a uai higher than 95? I go to a public, non-selective school, which I hear will probably drop my overall marks some. Any advice or tips? Would be much appreciated.

julz1245

Whoops, on second thoughts I think this should definately be in "UAI Guidance and Cousel" - sorry about that

julz1245

Not sure on school rank but I figure it would be fairly low - Asquith Girls High, in the Hornsby area.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
nah Asquith isn't that bad. If you want 95+ i suggest trying to get top 3 in all subjects. Your 4u english will bring your uai up and legal is pretty neutral. Btw - Do you know what ur dux got?

alien

HSC
4u english will scale you up pretty big. i think italian scales up well too, well most languages scale up anyway. asquith isn't THAT bad!

julz1245

lol, okay Asquith isn't tooo bad... but it's not excellent, either, in terms of marks and ranking. I'm not sure what the dux got, I'll have to find out next week when it's back to school again
Yeah I mucked around with SAM a little while back, but it's hard to tell what your moderated assessment mark (or whatever it's called) is going to be, especially with the complexity that goes into it depending on rankings, etc.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
True, but if you look at your schools performance from past years, you can have a semi - indication of what rank you need to achieve in order to get that band 6.

Asquith Girls High 2004 HSC

English Advanced - 2 Band 6's
English Extension 1 - 0 Band 6's
English Advanced - 2 Band 6's
Legal Studies - 0 Band 6's
Italian - No point cos there would only be a small cohort
General Maths - 8 Band 6's

So a top 3 position in all subjects would get you close to 95 (im not too sure, you would need to use SAM).

alien

HSC
julz1245 said:
lol, okay Asquith isn't tooo bad... but it's not excellent, either, in terms of marks and ranking. I'm not sure what the dux got, I'll have to find out next week when it's back to school again
Yeah I mucked around with SAM a little while back, but it's hard to tell what your moderated assessment mark (or whatever it's called) is going to be, especially with the complexity that goes into it depending on rankings, etc.
i think the dux was ange, andrea kench and she got 97.55.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well she got band 6 in English Advanced, Music Extension (which would have scaled nicely) and PDHPE. 6 units in band 6. Aim for all subjects in band 6. No harm in aiming. Then hard work will propel u the rest of the way

EDIT: What about Amy Cullinan, surely she was dux?

alien

HSC
um, i know amy did well, i just can't remember what she got... she got some other award for being good in all subjects at presentation graduation thingie. i was suprised ange didn't get band 6 for chem though, i was the only one!

alien

HSC
argh! who are you???? PM me! and do you actually have a wrx? i'd be so jeolous if you did.

alien

HSC
ok... so who are you? lol i like any car with power :) maybe that's just a side effect of driving my parents dodgy, 20 year old 4 cylindar not enough litre engine van.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL "Not enough litre" I only know ur name cos u mentioned u got band 6 in chem, and ur the only one lol. Its on the BoS spreadsheet, thats where i got all the data from. :) Hmm i dont know any asquith girls, only asquith boys...

alien

HSC
o. so you think my real name is cool? i thought you meant my BOS name. er, thanks, i dunno if you mean my first or last name though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)