What are the best extra curricular's/work experiences you guys havedone? (1 Viewer)

businessstudent

HSC
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask what extra curricular's/work experiences have you guys done or have heard about that look really good on your applications to Finance/Accounting/Management consulting firms for internships or graduate jobs? Also what extra curricular's/work experiences have you guys done that are relatively easy to apply for and get into that look good on your resume/applications?

Because, I moved from Hong Kong to Sydney a year ago, I don't have a lot of experience in Sydney and did only a lot of tutoring in Hong Kong (as all other jobs when you were younger required that you spoke cantonese!) so I'm having a hard time getting an interview for anything from retail to receptionists etc. Even though I'm far from being a "FOB"! I went to an international school, I'm probably more suitable than most even Australian candidates, personality wise, image wise etc. It sucks. All I'm doing at the moment is all the extra curricular's UNSW offers!

What do you guys think I should do and specifically which avenues should I explore in terms of extra curricular's/work experience? Rmb they must enhance qualities which Finance/Accounting/Mgmt consulting firms would want.

Thanks guys.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
First off, don't get too bogged down in the mindset of "it must be relevant" because whilst it's true, it's surprisingly broad because the skills and behaviours you develop in a lot of roles can still be relevant (e.g. tutoring is similar to coaching/teaching which is what you do on the job, dealing with troublesome and sometimes conflicting customers is just like having to deal with professional clients, etc).

In my opinion, if I were in your situation I would focus on; a) getting local work experience even if it's in retail (most likely you won't have enough time to progress up the ranks at Maccas to something like crew trainer which is actually a really good role and highly regarded by employers); and b) getting involved in uni societies/clubs particularly the bigger ones which are sponsored by potential employers. These can sometimes get very political but if you do it well, you'll get some great experiences in working with teams and deadlines (as well as "professional standards" of the sponsors) and depending on role, you may also get a good opportunity to network with the right people who might remember you later on.

The only suggestion I'd have for you first though is to figure out which industry you are more interested in and then tailor it to suit. Accounting, finance and management consulting may have some overlaps in what they look for but ultimately are very different industries and have very different cultures.

businessstudent

HSC
Thank you!! This might be a tiny bit personal but what kind of stuff did you do while at uni? If you don't want to answer that's fine! And yes, you are very right. Very blatantly put, I don't have a clue what I want to do and I don't know how alot people in my classes know which majors, which career they want from the get go (or atleast thats how I feel). Unfortunately, I've been surrounded by a crowd thus far that either isn't in my degree or isn't ambitious as I was living on campus! Alotta partying and time wasting happened in first year haha. So do you have any advice and anywhere you could direct me to about making up my mind? Thanks!

businessstudent

HSC
I'm stuck between the hard work at something I don't REALLY love doing Finance and something I know I'd be good at with high rewards and will kinda enjoy the hard work there but rewards may be minimal doing managementy stuff.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was already working so it's difficult to compare- but I participated in societies which I cared about from a personal perspective- AUSCA (cars), UNIT (investing and trading), Red Cross (charity yo). And of course Comsoc (which is now BSoc).

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to africa, do something there, whatever you will do there will be looked at favourably.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Go to africa, do something there, whatever you will do there will be looked at favourably.
very true (unless u just sit in a hotel all day). i found it far more interesting when candidates told me about their missions/charity work in third world countries than their internal politics working in uni societies.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
I joined up with my local Lions Club (community-based organisation) and work on projects to help raise funds for the community. I go to 2 meetings a month, and then spend a couple of hours outside of that doing the work (some weeks I do nothing, some weeks I could put in 20 hours).. It's up to you how much time you can give. It's also great because you can join up on committees to help improve your skills :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey OP, heard of 180 degrees consulting? Sounds like a really good opportunity to get some work experience/CV/volunteering done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)