What are the chances of my school giving me the WEP key? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Sorry if this is in the totally wrong forum.

Anyway, just got my MacBook and since I'm bringing it to school, what are the chances that my school would give me the WEP key to access its internet service? Or do they have the right to not give it?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Just ask. My school offers the key to anyone who has a laptop computer that accepts wireless internet. Your usually constricted by the usual DET website blocks though.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
we didnt have a key on the wireless network.

but if you ask they should let you have it :D

and use proxies ;]

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
The DET blocked all sites with the word proxy. Bastards.

Download a free proxy program off the net somewhere and use that. Mine makes me turn Japanese... I really think so.

bawd

HSC
Okay, thanks. Luckily the guy in charge of the internet at our school is a nice guy. (Well, I hope so anyway)

AusBluesMan - Would just typing 'free proxy program' in Google do the trick? And could you explain how a proxy would work? (I've used a proxy before, just want to know how it works)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Yeah. That's what I did lol. There are many to choose from, and some aren't actually free, they are actually a free trial, they just don't tell you that.

A proxy changes your computers I.P. address, which makes it harder for hackers and viruses to get into your computer. A rather handy side effect of this is that the D.E.T. site block is registered only to the school I.P.
address(es). So when you change your I.P. address using 3rd party software, you are still connected through they're system, they just can't block your browsing.

bawd

HSC
AusBluesMan said:
Yeah. That's what I did lol. There are many to choose from, and some aren't actually free, they are actually a free trial, they just don't tell you that.

A proxy changes your computers I.P. address, which makes it harder for hackers and viruses to get into your computer. A rather handy side effect of this is that the D.E.T. site block is registered only to the school I.P.
address(es). So when you change your I.P. address using 3rd party software, you are still connected through they're system, they just can't block your browsing.
Okay, thanks. :)

BlazifeX

HONK HONK
HSC
1. Get the WEP key
2. Play Tetris DS on WiFi
3. ?????????????
4. Profit!

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
So I came into school today to study, and I asked for the network key, so I could access the school internet from my laptop.

Librarian: We have a wireless network?!
Me: Yes... we have several

So I went to look for someone who was in admin, but they wouldn't give me the key.

Last edited:

Debaser33

HSC
If your school is anything like mine, just asking will get you put under surveillance for several weeks. I'm not condoning cracking their password, but, well, I'm not condemning it either. Just be aware that doing so can be a very bad thing if you get caught.

If you still want to find some such software, search for AirCrack, AirSnort, or just search of "network cracking software".

bawd

HSC
squeenie said:
So I came into school today to study, and I asked for the network key, so I could access the school internet from my laptop.

Librarian: We have a wireless network?!
Me: Yes... we have several

So I went to look for someone who was in admin, but they wouldn't give me the key.
LOL. What a clueless librarian.

zzdfa

HSC
AusBluesMan said:

err no
this is what happens when you connect to a proxy server
e.g. you are alice and you are connected to bob, who is a proxy server
if you want some stuff off the net, say from xxx.com
instead of getting it straight from the xxx.com
you ask bob to get it for you then send it back to you

how does this circumvent blocks?
all the stuff is coming from bob (who is getting it from xxx.com)
so if the school has only blocked xxx.com and not bob, then anything from bob will be able to get through (including stuff that bob has gotten from xxx.com).

Last edited:

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
Yes, but although bob is probably blocked due to the whitelist blocking any sites the DETfags don't like. Proxies are not DETfag friends.

WEP Cracking
wesside-ng is a good tool; go download BACKTRACK 3 (its a linux distro) and it comes with wesside-ng, then google for a tutorial. There used to be something on 711chan, but it got deleted.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
our skool just gives us an ethernet cable which we're suppose to hook up to a port in the classroom, they never give out WEP keys, though i suppose u could do a bit of ersearch into cracking WEP keys, my friend successfully did it once.
and with blocked sites, google 'proxy' and all of them work from page 6+ at our schoool

PsychoNerd

HSC
apperantly all the ppl in my class is getting a free laptop and the school is getting a router for the yr 11/12 room.

badquinton304

HSC
There are programs you can get to do this crap. It will probably take a few days though but you can save your process, then to get into the router it is highly likely that the user name and password will be "admin", free up some ports for bittorrent if you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)