What are workshop classes at UTS? (1 Viewer)

miks_w

HSC
Hi I'm new to UTS. I've got an accounting workshop before an accounting tutorial on the same day, first week. I've heard that workshops recap or are going off the tutorials, so am I out of order?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, tutorials are small discussion-based groups of students enrolled in a particular unit. Tutorials provide students with the opportunity to discuss material from lectures and readings in more detail. Each group is led by a tutor. Tutorials usually take place in classrooms and are less formal than lectures. Workshops, on the other hand, appear to be a combination of teaching, discussion and practical tasks that are delivered as part of a particular unit on a regular basis. Based on this, it seems that it would probably be better to attend a tutorial prior to attending a workshop due to the fact that a tutorial allows for discussion of relevant lecture material and readings, while a workshop expands on the aspects offered by a tutorial by including practical tasks/material relevant to the unit(s) that you are taking. The suggested order of activities thus becomes:

Lecture → Tutorial → Workshop
However, since you mentioned that you will be completing both activities on the same day, this likely reduces the effect of attending a workshop prior to a tutorial, since the activities are not far from each other in terms of time, making the order in which you complete these activities less significant.

Of course, the best option would be to contact UTS as they are the ones that know your specific degree/program well, therefore making them able to assist you with your concern to a significant extent and with maximum accuracy.

I hope this helps! :D

A.void.that.thinks

HSC
Hey! I’m going to uts too! I’m kind of in a similar position to you where I’ve got a tutorial before a lecture on the same day. However, for my first week my timetable is greatly reduced and that tutorial is actually missing and doesn’t show up till the next week. Maybe double check the timetable planner and look at your classes for each week because it might be different for the first couple of weeks due to this.

miks_w

HSC
Hey! I’m going to uts too! I’m kind of in a similar position to you where I’ve got a tutorial before a lecture on the same day. However, for my first week my timetable is greatly reduced and that tutorial is actually missing and doesn’t show up till the next week. Maybe double check the timetable planner and look at your classes for each week because it might be different for the first couple of weeks due to this.
Most tutorials don't run in the first week, all my tutorials are missing for the first week except for my accounting tute. I only have lectures and workshops first week.

A.void.that.thinks

HSC
Hmm, not sure then. I personally don’t have any workshops in my degree but if they’re still there then I guess the order doesn’t matter so much.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just wait until your first week and see, usually the enrollment system won't let you pick activities out of order. Most classes lag tutorials by a week so they can scatter them on days around the lecture rather than all after the lecture.

I've seen "workshops" refer to multiple things at UTS. Sometimes it is a bit of a hybrid between a lecture and a tutorial, where there is a lecturer but generally smaller class sizes and more interaction between the students and lecturer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)