What are you allergic to? (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
What are you allergic to?

I never thought I had allergies, but I found on Thursday last week at 2am, that Im allergic to Maxalon, a med given for nausea and vomiting. On Mon 27th, I got my wisdom teeth out, and then that was all fine and stuff, and then Tues my tongue started to hang out, and then went back in, and then later that day just hang out.. Woke up Wednesday and my tongue just refused to go in at all during the day and night.

Mum rang me that night to see how i was recuperating from the operation, and I couldnt talk at all...I was like moaning words..just hold your tongue out and talk at the same time and thats how i was. My neck was like stiff and bending backwards during the day, drooling all the time,a dn yeah pain from that....mum worked that out,a nd she came over to take me to emergency. But she got to my place and saw me kinda fitting and stiff, and immediately rang the ambulance.

They though i was having a fit or had a intellectul disability coz my head was just like back and facing right, and shaking so much but i wasnt at all cold. I just was blank as but could still respond and stuf like that.

The ER docs didnt know what was going on, thinking it was a neuro problem and then mum found the Maxalon adn the docs were like oH well that explains everything, and so they gave me some cogentin (benztropine) to reverse the maxalon and stop the sharking and getting my tongue back in. I stayed till HThurs morning and then went home all sore from shaking so much.

Strange thing is, ive taken maxalon several times and NEVER had a reaction. THe docs were like oh well its pretty rare to get the dystonia as they put it.

So now my pupils are still really big (dilated) and im still dizzy at ttimes but im giong to see a neurologist next week.

So yeah to answer my question: im allergic to maxalon.

HSC
Maxalon - whaddat?
I'm allergic to life pretty much.
Pollen, grass, seeds in grass, used to be allergic to egg yolk, couldn't drink coke, shell fish, lobster, oysters, all seafood pretty much, animal hair, dustmites.

But apart from that, I live a happy life with eczma, asthma and hayfever.
Winter and spring ): bad.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
^ You have mostly all the conditions I have.

I'm also allergic to peanuts.

CieL

HSC
Similar thread in the food and drinks section..

I'm allergic to:
Dog hair [only]
Shellfish
Dustmites
I think pollen.. but doesn't everyone sneeze?
I get phlegm when I eat wasabi.. don't know if it's an allergy tho..

That's all I can think of..

beentherdunthat

HSC
A lot of stuff-

-Foundation
-Rabbits
-Grass
the list goes on and on and on.................

Skeeta

HSC
Lactose intolerant
Strawberries
Penicillian
Bees

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Skeeta said:
Lactose intolerant
Strawberries
Penicillian
Bees
I knew this guy once who was allergic to bees and he thought he was really tough until one day we were walking along somewhere and all these bees showed up and he ran off like a little girl.

rozymisty

HSC
minnn2 said:
Maxalon - whaddat?
I'm allergic to life pretty much.
Pollen, grass, seeds in grass, used to be allergic to egg yolk, couldn't drink coke, shell fish, lobster, oysters, all seafood pretty much, animal hair, dustmites.

But apart from that, I live a happy life with eczma, asthma and hayfever.
Winter and spring ): bad.
Ive got eczema as well, but it flared up/started when I was 16 and then yr 11 and 12 Id just rub my skin so much and yeah it was really horrible. And from there on it just comes and goes. And working in a hospital when your washing your hands all the time doesnt really help. But thank god its not as bad as it was 7yrs ago or whatever it is.

Maxalon, the trade name for metoclopramide, is an anti-emetic ie it stops you getting nausea, vomiting and dizziness if you have like an upset stomach badly. Its mostly prescribed for post op procedures, particularly if you have really strong pain relief that makes you feel a bit sick in the tummy.

the reaction i had, drug induced dystonia, is very rare, apparently 1 in 10 000 apparently. And the strange thing is, Ive had maxalon numerous times with no adverse reactions at all! Sometimes it doesnt even get rid of the nausea! But yeah oh well.

Oh this thread was mainly like what medications are you allergic to.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
metoclopramide is a dopamine receptor blocker (antagonist)..

also causes N+V in some patients :)...

mabbe domperidone from now on :p

Edit:... ROFL... ive been on Emerg too long

rozymisty

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
metoclopramide is a dopamine receptor blocker (antagonist)..

also causes N+V in some patients :)...

mabbe domperidone from now on :p

Edit:... ROFL... ive been on Emerg too long
Well i know that from my nursing studies, its a antiemetic and used for those having examination of the stomach and assist in intubation so you dont gag.. I certainly got all the adverse reactions to it: dystonic reactions, CNS disturbances including impaired alertness, tardiative dyskinesia and others...hm although dystonic reactions are all those CNS disturbances....

and also my eyes were just going crazy apparently..no wonder things were so blurrry.

purplemonkey

HSC
Haha...funny this thread should come up, I had my skin-prick test yesterday...should have seen the wheals on my arm...allegies to: dustmites (severe), cockroaches (don't ask me why they tested that one), cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, moulds, pollen, grass and 'tree spores'. Aren't allergies fun? I'm atopic tho so I'm prone to them as well as eczema, hayfever and asthma. :)

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
For those of you who have eczema, have you tried that medicated honey> Its quite good apparenlty. I dindt like useing it htough coz its so dam sticky. BUt now for when it flares up for me, I put on some Aristocort cream, its good apparenltly coz it has a moisturiser in it as well

CieL

HSC
purplemonkey said:
allegies to: cockraoaches (don't ask me why they tested that one)
I laughed.

I wouldnt know if I'm allergic to them or not, because I'd go out of my way to stay 10 feet away.

rozymisty

HSC
Rebekkie said:
any painkiller stronger than panadol. it sucks, especially after i had one of my knees operated on after stuffing it up.
There is a difference between an allergy and a reaction to a medication. If you just get the adverse reaction, eg panadeine forte =drowsiness, you can get other meds that dont have that side effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)