What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
For English Advanced, I just read "Wrack" (australian author) - it was very poetic and descriptive. I liked everything except the conclusion, which was predictable and sadistic. I felt like I had been tortured through reading the last few chapters for nothing - which might have been the authors aim in the first place, considering the content.

I'm reading "We All Fall Down" for English Extension. Nothing new, we read it last year in my class, so it's a bit boring reading it again. Same with Wrack, the book has a meaningless ending which seems to be that the author either rushed it or did not think the actual plot through clearly. It was an average read.

We had to read Edgar Allen Poe's, "The Cask of Amontillado". I liked it, it was very suspenseful and the language styles used were very well done. My only gripe is that if someone wrote the same plot-line in modern english - even if they used similar imagery - it would be considered much less worthwhile as a short story. I don't agree with how historical context has so much to do with the actual value of the writing - some people tend to think if it's older, it's better, which generally makes no sense. The content was one-layered and vague at times. I much rather his poems, which represent his writing capabilities more clearly.

I'm also reading Angels and Demons (D. Brown) and Twilight (S. Meyer) for enjoyment. They're both very good reads, but I prefer Twilight.

lovenotwar

HSC
dracula by bram stoker. have to read it for extension english. only read a couple of chapters but seems like a book id enjoy

anyone looking for a good book i read cloudstreet by tim winton in the holidays and really liked it

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Philip Pullman- The Northen Lights
1st bookn in the His Dark Materials triology

HSC
I really wanna read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. It was a hauntingly beautiful film too. :D

Beauty Queen

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

If any of you are currently reading this for Irish Drama, we're putting on a production of Martin McDonagh's "THE BEAUTY QUEEN OF LEENANE" at the Seymour Centre in Sydney from March 6th - 15th and would love you to come along if you're studying it or if you studied it for your HSC recently.

It's an awesome show directed by Maeliosa Stafford who is brilliant and stars some pretty cool people.

It plays at The Seymour Centre, Cnr City Rd & Cleveland St, Chippendale, Sydney
6 - 15 March 2008 (10 days only!!!)
Times:
10AM: Thu 6, Fri 7 & Thur 13 March
8PM: Thur 6, Fri 7, Sat 8, Mon 10, Tue 11, Wed 12, Thur 13, Fri 14, Sat 15 (sold out)

Tickets: $32 / $27 / $25 for groups of 10 or more

BOOKINGS: Seymour Centre Box Office: on 02 9351 7940
http://www.seymour.usyd.edu.au/boxoffice/program_beauty.shtml

or just give me a call if you need more info or want to book through me direct on 0415 436 858 (Sandra) or email sandra@wildfiretheatre.com

Thanks hope to see you all there! :)

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
KatPadackles said:
Twilight! Twilight! TWILIGHT!
Haha I <3 the books in that series, I can't wait for Breaking Dawn(!!!) and especially Edward's version of Twilight in the appropriately titled Midnight Sun....
Click here for the first chapter:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_chapter1.pdf

BTW, I finished reading Bitter Chocolate by Lesley Lokko. It was so0o0o good!! Really gripping at the end too.

Last edited:

KatPadackles

HSC
Oh yeah! I read that too Kirsty! How beautiful is it? And I believe Breaking Dawn is going to be released on August 2nd? Oh, and have you seen the photos for the cast of Twilight!? I can't wait!

Rekisha

HSC
um...The Crystalids by John Wydham...I thnk i spelt his name wrong

Its okay....kind of twisted in a sense...
Im starting A merchant of venice...by september...what fun!:jaw:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
A Century Of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order

by F. William Engdahl

beautiful book if you want to no the history of oil and how it has played a role in ever war since WW1 till modern day warfare

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
KatPadackles said:
Oh yeah! I read that too Kirsty! How beautiful is it? And I believe Breaking Dawn is going to be released on August 2nd? Oh, and have you seen the photos for the cast of Twilight!? I can't wait!
I've seen the cast - unbelievable. Yeah August 2nd. I reckon i'm gunna pre-order the book on Amazon so I don't have to wait too long when the book is actually released. Edward's version of events just makes me fall in love with him (lol, the character) even more!!

Do you know if that date is an international releae date or just the American release date???

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Just finished the Temeraire books that are out in paperback (Temeraire/The King's Dragon, The Throne of Jade and The Black Powder War) by Naomi Novik, and they were pretty awesome indeed. Quasi fantasy/alternate history, it's about a British navy captain during the Napoleonic wars and his transition to the equivant of our air force, the dragon Corps.

HSC
Just read A Clockwork Orange... the language in it certainly made it different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)