What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

Kavaianas

HSC
I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for English, is it a good book? I'm also thinking of reading Perks of Being a Wallflower, tell me how good it is, if possible.

Kavaianas

HSC
OMG is Vanishing Acts good? I'm trying to read it right now, it's pretty good right now.

CrescentMoon

HSC
"Tristram Shandy, by Laurence Sterne.

The lack of punctuation (from a modern viewpoint) that occurred in the 1760s makes this book interesting for me, in terms of having to intone certain parts of the sentence for it to make sense. Really makes you think about how intonation can create meaning for a series of words that seem to have no meaning otherwise."

I studied that book in Year 11 for English Extension 1. Interesting with many techniques and allusions. However, the structure make the novel so difficult to comprehend!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"Tristram Shandy, by Laurence Sterne.

The lack of punctuation (from a modern viewpoint) that occurred in the 1760s makes this book interesting for me, in terms of having to intone certain parts of the sentence for it to make sense. Really makes you think about how intonation can create meaning for a series of words that seem to have no meaning otherwise."

I studied that book in Year 11 for English Extension 1. Interesting with many techniques and allusions. However, the structure make the novel so difficult to comprehend!
The language style as well, along with the digressions make you not really sure about what's going on usually. Thankfully I have the Norton edition which has a "table of contents" which summarises the chapter, basically.

Usually confirms my suspicions on what the chapter is about, but better than going in blind.

Hopp

HSC
Wuthering Heights and A Storm of Swords Part 1 :)

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for English, is it a good book? I'm also thinking of reading Perks of Being a Wallflower, tell me how good it is, if possible.
I really enjoy re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It's on my all-time favourite book list. However, I would give The Perks of Being a Wallflower 3/5 stars.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold which I gave a four stars and I am now starting The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy.

should be interesting

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Finished 'The Firm' (meh) and 'One L' (was OK). Now I'm halfway through 'Letters to a Law Student'.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
started reading a farewell to arms.
i skipped to the last page of the book so i already know how it ends.

bummer

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Finished 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simpson . Now I have started 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green, early in but so far has not hooked me the same way TFIOS did.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Starting the Wolf of Wall Street
Surprised that it's based on a true story

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Starting the Wolf of Wall Street
Surprised that it's based on a true story
Some bits are a bit fked. Just a warning.

I'm only half way through atm. I'll probably finish it during my timetable breaks at uni. *time to look like an arts student reading on the lawns*

Thief

!!
HSC
Watership Down by Richard Adams. I used to love the Redwall series as a kid so this book is great.

HSC
Currently reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (to help get my mind into the romantic times for my eng ext 1/2) so far its not too bad a lot better then Wuthering Heights I might add XD

tumtoom

HSC
The Great Gatsby (though I swear the introduction is a quarter of the entire thing)
Its been on my shelf for a while now thought I might as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)