• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Are You Reading? (2 Viewers)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
i'm reading shakespears the tempest (english) :chainsaw:
I liked reading that, although that was for my own amusement rather than for English. Just hang in there, it really is good, and brief, so soon you'll be happy when Our revels are now ended. :D

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Mojo, how are you finding The Great Gatbsy?

Continuing on the university readings myself..

Finished;
Glenda Sluga & Barbara Caine-Gendering European History 1780-1920.

Now reading;
Jonathan Culler-Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov.

Liking this so far.. Example passage;
[Alyosha] having lost his mother when he was in his fourth year, he remembered her all the rest of his life, her face, her caresses, 'every bit as though she stood before me in real life'. Images of this kind may be recalled (and this is no secret) from a yet earlier age, as far back as the age of two, but in such a manner that they emerge all one's life only as bright points in the dark, like a tiny corner torn from an enormous picture which has all faded and disappeared, apart from that one little corner. Exactly so it was with him: he remembered a certain morning, aestival, calm, an open window, the oblique rays of the setting sun (those oblique rays were what he remembered most of all), in a corner of a room an icon, before it a lighted lamp, and in front of the icon on her knees, sobbing as in a fit of hysterics, with screechings and shriekings, his mother, gripping him with both hands, embracing him tightly to the point of pain and supplicating for him to the Mother of God, stretching him forth out of her embraces with both hands towards the icon as though into the protection of the Mother... [pp.16-17]

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Read today;

Rodney Tiffen-Diplomatic Deceits; Government, Media and East Timor.

Now reading;

Russell McGregor-Imagined Destinies; Aboriginal Australians and the Doomed Race Theory 1880-1939.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Following Imagined Destinies, I read;

Humphrey McQueen-Temper Democracy, and am now onto;

Virginia Woolf-To The Lighthouse (Not far into this, but Woolf's style of eliminating the omniscient narrator is already apparent [This is the second of her novels I've read, following Mrs Dalloway]. I think it works brilliantly in conveying the thought process, thereby adding realism and raising questions based on the objectivity of each character's perception. For instance, Mrs Ramsay's judgements appear occasionally distorted as a result of her acquiscence to patriarchy.. Good stuff, and something worth discussing in more detail.)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Finished The Importance Of Being Earnest, and a hillarious read it was. Unsurprisingly, it was indeed very witty.

Cecily-I don't like novels that end happily. They depress me so much. (Act Two)

Chausble-Your brother Ernest dead?
Jack-Quite dead.
Miss Prism-What a lesson for him! I trust he will profit by it.

Jack-Gwendolen, it is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth. Can you forgive me? (Act Three)

:D

Now reading;
John Locke-Two Treatises Of Government.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
an ideal husband (the play) by oscar wilde...its for ext 1 so its like "forced" reading but its not too bad...actually i quite like it. hehe

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
The Two Towers still. I've been so busy I haven't picked it up for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)