• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Are You Reading? (3 Viewers)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Finished Ulysses today..Such an excellent work, even with the 60+ page last chapter being a stream-of-consciousness in a single sentence. :) Yes. ;)

A boggling amount of allusions and meta-references pervade throughout..(Something else I find neat. The text actually refers to and fleshes out characters from A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and Dubliners, giving somewhat of a totality to Joyce's works and their depiction of Dublin...)

Even with all the allusions I picked up (and these do make it quite funny) however, it also appears to be the type of book which rewards further reading and learning (Particularly in 'Oxen Of The Sun', seeing I haven't read the authors who are stylistically invoked throughout), vastly open in it's depiction of June 16th, 1904.. Something to come back to in future years.

Following that epic, I moved onto a very short text;
Compiled by Malcolm Page-File on Stoppard.

This contained several interesting facts about Stoppard's plays until 1985. For instance, did you (You being whoever is reading this) know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead was originally entitled Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at The Court Of King Lear? I didn't. ;)

A shame it wasn't longer than 90 pages...

Now reading;
Joan Oates-Babylon.

Last edited:

Kos

Originally posted by jaNetix
wat..no one reading 'Vernon god Little' - by DBC Pierre??

i jus got it 2day....so ill get stuk into it more...but so far...looks good....a lot of swearing tho..
we'll see where it goes..
Ive avoided that. It seems to me like typical post S11 America bashing. I tend to avoid authors who are pretentious enough to write under the name Dirty But Clean Pierre when their real name is Peter.

Right now Im re-reading Notes From the Underground by Dostoevsky.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I've gone back to my 'Complete Works Of Shakespeare' in the last couple of days...

Read;
William Shakespeare-The Tempest.

Reading;
William Shakespeare-Timon Of Athens.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
emma, tempest - for school's modules

great expectations, the Da vinci Code is for pleasure reading :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Now, having learnt that there were roughly 4 900 000 citizens within the Roman Empire in AD/CE 14 (from a total estimated population of 60 000 000), my life is bettered, or not.

But to go from Slave to Knave;

William Shakespeare-Twelth Night.

bex

HSC
im going to buy that tomoz! the devil wears prada i mean.. i have always wanted to read love in the time of cholera.. just cause it sounds interesting...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
William Shakespeare-Titus Andronicus.

I've heard it is his worst play, so should be fun, even with the copious bloodshed. (I like the reference to this in Shakespeare In Love.)

The preceding three posts were brought to you by William Shakespeare and the letter T.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Macccca
Interview with a vampire, seen the movie now reading the book.
That's a good book, i've got all the Vampire Chronicles. Blood & Gold is the best though.

I'm reading J.R.R Tolkien's Fellowship Of The Ring. Got them for Xmas.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Wow..Titus Andronicus is indeed very gory, even to the point of excess.

Continuing the Shakespeare thing (Partially because I'm attending a performance of 'Complete Works (Abridged)' in the near future..)

William Shakespeare-Troilus & Cressida.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Currently reading The Winter Door by Isobelle Carmody & The Dragon Charmer by Jan Siegal.
Planning to read One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest by I forget who (I got half way through once and then forgot about it, figure I should finish it) and Animal Farm by George Orwell.
:)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by glitter burns
Currently reading The Winter Door by Isobelle Carmody & The Dragon Charmer by Jan Siegal.
Planning to read One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest by I forget who (I got half way through once and then forgot about it, figure I should finish it) and Animal Farm by George Orwell.
:)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was composed by Ken Kesey.

Currently reading;
Iain Hampsher-Monk-A History Of Modern Political Thought; Major Political Thinkers from Hobbes to Marx. (More University preperation.)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Seeing that 'A History Of Modern Political Thought' is divided by thinker, I've decided to read other books in between sections...
Just finished 'Thomas Hobbe' (Next up is John Locke)

Also reading;
Shakespeare-Henry V (Need to read a history other than Richard III..)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Pride and Prejeduce! Loving it!!!! I just finished A Dolls House, and ive got Wuthering Heights, North and South, Tira Lira, HH Guide to the Galaxy, Over the Top - Great Battles of WW1, 1918 - Year of Victories and See how it runs: history of the nimrod theatre company... so ive got my work cut out for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)