What ATAR should I be aiming for? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok well I'm in year 12 at the moment and I still don't really have a clear idea as to what I want to do after school. I honestly don't even know what ATAR I'm going for, so help is much appreciated. The following are my results so far for each subject, with the weightings in the brackets.

English adv: 15/15 (15%), 12/15 (10%)
Maths 2U: 45/49 (20%)
Maths 3U: 15/30 (20%)
Software design and development: 30/30 (15%), 100/100 (20%)
Business studies: 45/50 (20%)
Physics: 30/35 (10%)

Don't be all like woah he's acing software, i really am not, the assignments were incredibly easy even though some people failed it.

gandalfbrah

HSC
You don't aim for an atar based on results, you set an atar goal you would like to achieve and work towards it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
If you intend on going to university and you don't have any idea, then it should be obvious that aiming for 99.95 gives you the most options possible.

HSC
I wouldn't even know my ranks, however I can guess top 10 for all subjects except ext 1 maths, I did terrible in that.

study cappy

HSC
I'm in pretty much the exact same boat as you, that is, year 12, topping all my classes, and not having the slightest clue of what to do post school. We need to be realistic when setting our goals- can you keep up your grades? how much time do you put into study? can you put in more?
You also need some sort of post school idea- do you want to go to uni? what subjects are you interested in? what is their necessary ATAR?

I would suggest you aim for the stars and hope to land on the moon (Aim for 99.95 and hope to get around 85)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Well, its a little difficult to make a judgement onto what ATAR you should aim for when all we know about your interests is in your subject selection/performance
Obviously you want to aim as high as possible, but at the same time it can be helpful and motivating to have a concrete goal to shoot for

I'd recommend starting here, and looking through some information per field and specific degree (No particular reason for using UNSW btw)
https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/find-degree

Off the little information we have, I think Science and/or Business could be good starting points

Guy_332

HSC
So basically I have been bludging and not doing jack s**t in my HSC for chemistry (ranked 22/22), physics (ranked 16/22) and EXT 1 maths (ranked 10/15). I am really low ranked in all those subjects but doing OK in standard english (40 / 115) and business studies (20 / 48) and fortunately doing really well in mathematics (ranked 3 out of 45).
Im about to sit my HSC half yearlies for which I will most probably keep the low rank for chem, drop ranks in physics to maybe 20, drop the english rank to about 60, hopefully raise my rank for Business to top 5, keep my top 3 rank in mathematics and definitely drop my extension rank to last. All these predictions are based on my preparation for these exams and are a personal evaluation.
Based on all that information what can i still hope for ATAR wise? I have had a complete mind shift in prepping for these half yearlies and am totally willing to put 1000% effort into my work and studies but would love some sort of indication so I know what to aim for.
Thanks you heaps for reading my story and hope for some replies. =D
School rank is 130's

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)