What can i do about Maths???? (2 Viewers)

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
hey ppl, im just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm doing 2 unit maths and in year 12 and i wouldn't say that i was stupid or anything but im doing really badly. The point is that I can understand everything but my teacher is an absolute wanker and cannot teach (not exaggerating). For one thing he uses Coroneos' textbook (everyone who knows it groan) and he even skips topics because he goes on about having a whole term of revision for the hsc or some crap!! Class average last year 40% and if that isn't a telltale sign what is???
I've tried complaining to my principal at school and various teachers however they don't want to know and wont help me, my whole class is going to fail the hsc in maths. Help!!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
I'm afraid you're just going to have to put in more effort to learn it yourself... pick a good textbook for maths theory like Maths in Focus and then attempt some questions, work into harder questions from other textbooks and ofcourse, if you get stuck ask someone! and if you're teacher sucks, then ask another teacher at school, or post ur q's up on BOS, and if you're seriously finding it hard to learn, perhaps invest in a tutor?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by pussy_cat
[ For one thing he uses Coroneos' textbook (everyone who knows it groan) and he even skips topics because he goes on about having a whole term of revision for the hsc or some crap!! [/COLOR]
you'll find your teacher does that because coroneous has hard questions and he wants you to be prepared. but maybe he should start on something easier first and then use that as a 2nd step. what were the actual HSC marks like at your school?
Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
pick a good textbook for maths theory like Maths in Focus
MIF is a load of crap, it's good if you want the basics but not good for the hsc in the end

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Everything is a load of crap. No matter what book you get it's going to be a load of crap.

Best op, go to prior for a holiday seminar, pick up their Mathematics notes, leave, go home. DO 30,000 PAST PAPERS using the prior notes as a guide.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
MIF is a load of crap, it's good if you want the basics but not good for the hsc in the end

MIF is good for theory, not necessarily questions. yes, it's good for basics, and isn't that what you need to begin with?

Butterflies

I think if you are struggling in maths you should maybe think of getting a tutor. Its not to late. I have one and it helps me a lot to understand little things that I don't pick up in class. Don't feel bad about your class average ours is about the same.

I think using a variety of textbooks is also helpful, it helps give you different ways that a question may be set out in the HSC.

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
I've had some tutoring and it has helped me out, the thing is my teacher at school did our year 12 half yearly with 2 questions from what we have been doin all year and the rest from year 11 which isn't right, he's rushed us through and we only have 1 topic left till we're finished everything so we have a term of revision but whats the use of revision if u never learnt it properly

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Everything is a load of crap. No matter what book you get it's going to be a load of crap.

Best op, go to prior for a holiday seminar, pick up their Mathematics notes, leave, go home. DO 30,000 PAST PAPERS using the prior notes as a guide.
Why not just use a *gasp*non-PRIOR:eek: study guide and do past papers - like Dr. Shur's 'understanding Maths" - I think it's helpful.

So why do all textbooks suck - which did you use for 2/3 U?

So attempt all the past HSC papers available - only for maths - change in HSC means no pre 2001 past papers for the sciences:mad: .

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Past papers, and lots of them.

santaslayer

HSC
If you have more than 10 units I don't think you should be worrying about your preformance at this stage. I would simply drop it. I didn't drop it in year 12 but it didn't count towards my UAI anyway because it was too low.:)

Winston

HSC
Keep practicing urself, get a tutor, past papers keep doing it, do all the exercises in ur book, keep doing it till u understand it, tell ur teacher to fucking sit down at lunch and teach u, and if he doesnt go complain its their job to teach and even if its their lunch time fuck them, u make their life a hell ok? if a teacher like that sucks so badly, then you deserver to bug him, since hes the one who cant get the idea through, and if he refuses, tell ur principal, and if ur principal gives u crap, take it up higher.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hey ppl, im just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm doing 2 unit maths and in year 12 and i wouldn't say that i was stupid or anything but im doing really badly. The point is that I can understand everything but my teacher is an absolute wanker and cannot teach (not exaggerating). For one thing he uses Coroneos' textbook (everyone who knows it groan) and he even skips topics because he goes on about having a whole term of revision for the hsc or some crap!! Class average last year 40% and if that isn't a telltale sign what is???
I've tried complaining to my principal at school and various teachers however they don't want to know and wont help me, my whole class is going to fail the hsc in maths. Help!!
if you have another 2 unit class at school, ask to swap

kpq_sniper017

1. if ur teacher is really that bad, as an idea, u could get all the guys in ur class to sign a petition and present it to the principal with a letter explaining his incompetence.

2. otherwise, u would have to learn the stuff on ur own, using various textbooks.

- Understanding Yr 12 Maths (Shur) and Maths in Focus are good for grounding and easing you into the topic.
- Coroneos is good (believe it or not). It has a bad layout, but it has good questions.
- Definitely use Cambridge Maths and Fitzpatrick after you have the basic groundings of the topic. Cambridge IMO is the best. it starts with easy questions and then gradually takes u into more difficult and interesting questions.
- finally, use Past Papers by Topic books at the end of each topic
- and then keep practising past trial/hsc papers when possible.

nike33

its not worth it to do anything like that to a math teacher...who do you think marks ur assessments? neway i have a friend who did 4u by correspondance and got 98 in 4u maths last year..dont blame the teacher or the books..., blame urself

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by nike33
its not worth it to do anything like that to a math teacher...who do you think marks ur assessments? neway i have a friend who did 4u by correspondance and got 98 in 4u maths last year..dont blame the teacher or the books..., blame urself
i agree with u nike, but by the situation described by pussy_cat, the teacher could be blamed in part. it's not to say that the people in the class aren't lazy or anything - they might be. i know at my school that when the guys themselves don't do well coz its their own fault, they blame the teacher - scapegoat.
i only based my suggestion on what i was told, but yea, as i said. if the teacher isn't all too flash, it's ur responsibility to get a tutor/do extra work to keep up with everyone else in the state.

kow_dude

HSC
haha... this is why teachers don't deserve a pay rise.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by nike33
Jeez, that's top 10. Who was it?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

heh you dont go to my school do you?

Try and change to other 2u class and complain collectively, get parents involved, petition etc. Tell the teacher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)