What can I do in this situation? (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Hey guys, I recently submitted an assessment that involved summarising a component of an introductory commerce subject and I only received 50 marks. Not to make myself seem proud/arrogant but I would like to think that my work was worth much more than a P. Probably a C or perhaps even D.

I've emailed my tutor to check my paper but if he does and my mark still doesn't change, what can do I do?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Which unit was this for?

jet

Banned
HSC
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes you may have worked really hard on something but produced only average-quality work.

Now I'm not saying that you didn't put in the effort, but you might have misunderstood the focus of the task or something similar.

Did the marker provide any comments? They should be able to help you.

To answer your original question, pretty much nothing. Unless there is a very clear indication that the marker did not mark consistently or that you were discriminated against, you have no case.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes you may have worked really hard on something but produced only average-quality work.

Now I'm not saying that you didn't put in the effort, but you might have misunderstood the focus of the task or something similar.

To answer your original question, pretty much nothing. Unless there is a very clear indication that the marker did not mark consistently or that you were discriminated against, you have no case.
Yeah I was provided with comments but I disagree with some of them, especially: Criterion 3: Effective synthesis and use of relevant quality research: F

I've received a reply from my tutor so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens now..

hscisoveryay1

HSC
VIPPER apparently no one got an HD for ABC 1 and the marks were extremly toughly marked, 50 is fine and i know many that got below that.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Speak to the lecturer instead of the tutor.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

The guy from work was whinging about this ALL YESTERDAY. And I said exactly this and he promptly spent the rest of the day pissed off he got 16/20 for an assign he thought he'd get 18 because he's the star student.

Basically, unless you have a really good reason, like jet said, you can't do much.

noddis911

HSC
Uni Grad
I think there are processes you can go through to get a remark, however, if you get a lower mark after this then you will receive even lower. Just listen to the comments emailed, (I found them to be very helpful) and make sure you take them on board for ABC2! Apparently a lot of people failed so a Pass was actually a decent mark and means you are doing things right and are on the right track to improve. Again as others have said effort is not an indication of the quality of the work, and obviously you would not be critically judging your own work because of precisely the fact that you wrote it. Marking at university is totally different than other institutions (eg high school, private colleges, tafe, etc.), so expect some discrepancies between what you think your work is worth and what it actually is in this new environment comprised of people of a significantly high calibre and potential. Personally I was quite surprised by my mark for the task as it was well off what i myself thought it was worth, especially considering the low average. There is still a lot of time to improve and remember this is like our first assessment so its not the end of the world. Better luck for the next one!

allira92

HSC
The whole time I was writing that task I had no clue what i was meant to be doing and ended up doing fairly ok in it... maybe winging it is the key in buss? haha

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I recently submitted an assessment that involved summarising a component of an introductory commerce subject and I only received 50 marks. Not to make myself seem proud/arrogant but I would like to think that my work was worth much more than a P. Probably a C or perhaps even D.

I've emailed my tutor to check my paper but if he does and my mark still doesn't change, what can do I do?
As mentioned, you don't really have a case. Take it to a lecturer and see your tutor again out of hours and try explaining to them why you feel youv'e been screwed over.

If it's just 'I think this deserves better' then you can't do anything about it.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I think my P won't be changed but yeah, thanks guys. It just feels really crap to get a mark of 50 when I know an international student that can't even write grammatically correct sentences and he gets a mark close to D by the same tutor? haha.

Since that assignment (and the accounting exam), I've stopped caring about marks. I'm just going to focus on studying to understand the concepts rather than studying to get D/HDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)