What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Ahh makes sense I guess. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah the side profile looks great. I wish they would update the back though. I don't dislike it or anything, but it kind of feels like it's beginning to look a little dated + it would have just added that extra wow factor.

LouisaCar

HSC
I am a complete car enthusiast !!!!!! (weird cos I'm a girl).
But anyways, I just recently got my P's and am thinking of getting the holden astra convertible, mini cooper or bmw 318i :O
Really don't know which one to go with .... I also like that new volvo hatchback?

Phantomeureka

HSC
Wouldn't bother with a 318i, they are so crap i wouldn't take one if i got it for free.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a complete car enthusiast !!!!!! (weird cos I'm a girl).
But anyways, I just recently got my P's and am thinking of getting the holden astra convertible, mini cooper or bmw 318i :O
Really don't know which one to go with .... I also like that new volvo hatchback?
What's your budget and are you talking new/used? I don't mind the Volvo C30 and it's quite reasonably priced for the amount of kit it has relative to other European cars. Given that both the Astra convertible and 318i aren't available anymore, i'm going to assume used. Convertibles have a lot of issues in used form so you'll need to inspect it carefully to avoid leaks and so forth. The Mini Cooper is a bit gutless but is ful of personality. It's also costly to own and service given that it's a BMW. The 318 will be as gutless as the Mini and if it's a 318, it must be an e46 which would be quite old now. So based on this I'd go for the C30 as well.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh makes sense I guess. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah the side profile looks great. I wish they would update the back though. I don't dislike it or anything, but it kind of feels like it's beginning to look a little dated + it would have just added that extra wow factor.
No worries, I like the back. Like Serem said, its like a mini 5er and I love that look :D

@Louisa: If you can afford can only afford a used E46 318 or the old Astra convertible the C30 is probably out of your price range. Though out of those 3, I'd take the Bimmer for practicality points. It'll drive at least as well the Mini and you'll be able to haul a helluva lot more stuff around. I'd avoid convertible Astras like the plague, the chassis pretty much loses most of its structural stiffness after its been beheaded and its wobbly as heck to drive.

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
Yes. Looks nice but not exciting enough to make me drool for it. In typical BMW fashion, most things aren't standard- it's worse than MB which at least includes quite a fair bit of kit.
What do you guys think of the Audis? IMO the A7 is wayyy nicer (design wise) than similar priced BMWs and MBs.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I have to say I'm a sucker for the E class coupe. Absolutely stunning car. So $$$ though

On the topic of reviews, this was what I was alluding to earlier:

LouisaCar

HSC
Yea I was going for a used car. My budget is $25,000 tops. I would go with the c30 but having done my research, the lowest on newest model would be roughly $35,000 :s

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
People who buy the mini cooper do so for an emotional reason rather than anything rational. If you find that you have that connection with it, then I'd go for that (assuming you find one in perfect condition which you really like). At least it's a fun car to drive. The 318i, whilst practical and having a timeless shape, is old.

Silly question but if you are looking to spend $25k, why not just get something new and hassle free?

LouisaCar

HSC
cos all I can get with $25,ooo are ugly toyota or ford cars. I'd rather have a car with a mad bodykit (in still relatively good condition)

LouisaCar

HSC
People who buy the mini cooper do so for an emotional reason rather than anything rational. If you find that you have that connection with it, then I'd go for that (assuming you find one in perfect condition which you really like). At least it's a fun car to drive. The 318i, whilst practical and having a timeless shape, is old.

Silly question but if you are looking to spend $25k, why not just get something new and hassle free?
cos all I can get with $25,ooo are ugly toyota or ford cars. I'd rather have a car with a mad bodykit (in still relatively good condition)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
There's also Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, Honda and VW just to name a few. There's a LOT of new car options with a 25k budget.

LouisaCar

HSC
I actually liked the subaru impreza hatchback, but only in the GTI model which I cannot drive as P platers can't drive turbos && same goes for the Volkswagen golf.
Butttt anyways if I were to get a second hand car, what should I look out for?

BTW I noticed that 'Havox' your studying Bachelor of medicine. I've been wanting to do that for a while. Is it hard? & lots of work? etc. and did you get in straight out of high school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)