What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
any jap 4 cylinder ute will do a better job towing than either

commodore and falcons do not have 'awesome' performance at all lol

what are you on about
True, the Hilux would do a better job. But I still prefer sedans because they handle the road better.... you know more comfortable and less rough due to the softer suspension setup.

I will put one point forward in regards to the Falcodores debate. They are the only two that I can find which have rear wheel drive configurations and come in a V8 or high output V6 format.

My main point was: Why drive an import when I can drive a locally made car?

May I also add.... most Japanese cars don't come in a station wagon platform. I haven't seen a Camry wagon come out for at least 5 years now.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Why would you want to drive a car just because it's locally made?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
why would you want a v8 or high output 6 anyway

i guarantee my 2L 4 will beat any commie or falcon from like 2000 back except a few v8s

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
why would you want a v8 or high output 6 anyway

i guarantee my 2L 4 will beat any commie or falcon from like 2000 back except a few v8s
Yeah, but how old is your car? You seriously can't compre your modern 2008-09 model car with a Commodore or Falcon from say 1990.

I'm pretty sure that if you got a 2008 Commo or Falcon against a 2008-09 model 4 cylinder car, then the Commodore or Falcon would definitely win.

Also, the 4 cylinder cars don't have that distinctive deep loud groan when floored like a stock Commodore or Falcon. Even the rice boxes with large exhaust systems don't compensate.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
2001, same as 1998 model i think

will keep up with a 09 commodore or falcon tbh

also there are plenty of 4s out there that will spank a commodore lol evo lancers? wrxs. even Renaults

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad

also there are plenty of 4s out there that will spank a commodore lol evo lancers? wrxs. even Renaults

Damn, I forgot about those cars. But aren't they turbocharged or whatever? What about the stock non-turbocharged editions of those against a Commodore or Falcon?

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Hopefully, my future car will be a black Suzuki Swift. So cute :)

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
how did you go through 6 gearboxes

granny shifting, not double clutching like you should?

how much for the vectra?
Lol, it was an Auto, and I'm not really sure how... They just kept breaking, in the end we got the original rebuilt, and it lasted about 3 weeks and then died, so I just bought another car.

$7200 for the Vectra, its a used car. I'll buy a brand new one when I'm NOT saving for Uni and stuff :p

izzy88

HSC
I think i'll get my parents Honda Jazz (about 3 yrs old) for my 21st at the end of the year :)

jimmylad

HSC
Had a VS Commodore (Manual), wrote that off being a dickhead in the wet. Hit a concrete wall at 80km/h. Not fun at all.

Than i bought a 98 Black Magna (Manual again). But the timing belt decided to shit itself and caused $3000 worth of damage to the engine, bending all the valves etc.

Im a 17 year old in year 12, and bought both of these cars myself and am paying for all the repairs and fuel. I think your very lucky and spoilt if your parents are buying you these Swifts, Getz's, Rio's, Corollas whatever at this age. Their pretty expensive and your an inexperienced driver, expect to hit something whilst parking or whatever, it happens.

Best advice i can offer, get a tow bar! :)

russs

yeeeee
HSC

a WRX engine is over-extended and over-boosted to the max.

Driving a large-engined car is always better than driving a 4-cyl... I prefer not to have to pre-plan my gear changes in some 3500-4250 rpm range where power is made.

Carrying around heavy load (boxes of magazines, as I had to do - just a 100kg+ load) was a tough task in a 2L 4-cyl. With no low-end torque, going up hills was painful.

Its simply more comfortable to drive a car that makes torque smoothly, esp. if you have to carry heavy loads. As soon as I can, I will switch to a v8 from a v6.

The fuel economy of a 4-cyl doesn't really justify what you get. I'd rather drive a big 3.8 v6/4L I6/6L v8 than a yaris and skip a few mcdonalds meals.

The evo/WRX/import range never appealed to me. They give some sort of an illusion of cheapness and mediocrity, even though I know they cost a fair bit. Just not my thing.

Although, I think diesel hatchbacks would be pretty neat if you live in the city.

Last edited:

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
a WRX engine is over-extended and over-boosted to the max.

Driving a large-engined car is always better than driving a 4-cyl... I prefer not to have to pre-plan my gear changes in some 3500-4250 rpm range where power is made.

Carrying around heavy load (boxes of magazines, as I had to do - just a 100kg+ load) was a tough task in a 2L 4-cyl. With no low-end torque, going up hills was painful.

Its simply more comfortable to drive a car that makes torque smoothly, esp. if you have to carry heavy loads. As soon as I can, I will switch to a v8 from a v6.

The fuel economy of a 4-cyl doesn't really justify what you get. I'd rather drive a big 3.8 v6/4L I6/6L v8 than a yaris and skip a few mcdonalds meals.

The evo/WRX/import range never appealed to me. The cars seem like they are made of plastic and sound like a long fart going.
Yeah i was just proving a point about power and speed and stuff

My 4cylinder 2L has no trouble with hills or 300+kg weights?:confused:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
what fucking 2L inline 4 couldn't handle 300kg up a hill? Or were you trying to drag your cousin?

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I really really want a purple Ford Festiva! Because every single one of my P-plater friends has had an accident, so I figure driving something old will make me feel better if I follow suit.
However, my parents keep drumming it in that I'm better off saving and buying a decent car. Does anyone have experience with VW's? Like, Golf of Polo. There are so many cars I have to seive through now :(
What do you personally think is the best car for a new driver? In terms of maintenence costs as well as the outright ones

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
I really really want a purple Ford Festiva! Because every single one of my P-plater friends has had an accident, so I figure driving something old will make me feel better if I follow suit.
However, my parents keep drumming it in that I'm better off saving and buying a decent car. Does anyone have experience with VW's? Like, Golf of Polo. There are so many cars I have to seive through now :(
What do you personally think is the best car for a new driver? In terms of maintenence costs as well as the outright ones
What

An old car is bad if you intend on having a crash. Get a newer car, much more safe generally.

Golfs and polos are amazing cars and i would love either.

Toyota corolla is the best imo. Cheap, unbreakable, safe etc. Small but not tiny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)