What career would you pursue if you knew you couldn't fail? (1 Viewer)

KrystalBanner

HSC
I'd go for everything if I didn't fail at it. I would steer cruise ships, be a surgeon, sing, defend the accused, weight-lift in the olympics, be prime minister of the nation. IF I don't fail.

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt mind being a star american football tailback, maybe win a Heisman Trophy, rush for 2,000 yards in a season and join the 10,000 yards rushing club at the end of my career. I wouldnt mind that.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Exactly what I'm doing right now because I don't care about failure. Just do what you want. If you fail, get up and do something else.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Well "doing what you want" can severely limit your other options. If you spend half your life going after some unacheivable goal and then fail, you can't just walk sraight into teh career you would have had if you had pursued it from the beginning.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Well "doing what you want" can severely limit your other options. If you spend half your life going after some unacheivable goal and then fail, you can't just walk sraight into teh career you would have had if you had pursued it from the beginning.
haha 'doing what you want' should be your life's priority, not doing what you think you should be doing merely because it's the safest option

i wouldn't want the career i would have had

what a boring and uninspiring life that would be

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
well i want to be an F1 driver

should i quit uni to become one even though there's a >99.999% chance I never will succeed?

No that's dumb, Facotring in the odds of success i will be far happier pursuing my current career path

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The problem with your assertion is that you assume that failure is a bad thing. In many cases it's probably better than a mediocre success.

Of course there's going to be a 99.99999% chance that you're never going to succeed if your outlook on life is full of negativity and pessimism. So yeah, maybe stay in uni.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The problem with your assertion is that you assume that failure is a bad thing.
So throwing away opportunities, failing, and then having to do a shitty job because you didn't go to uni is a good thing?

Of course there's going to be a 99.99999% chance that you're never going to succeed if your outlook on life is full of negativity and pessimism. So yeah, maybe stay in uni.
It has nothing to do with pessimism. The reality is that only a minuscule number of people can ever become F1 drivers and I'm not particularly talented at driving. It doesn't matter how optimistic I am, the odds are inherently tiny.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
So throwing away opportunities, failing, and then having to do a shitty job because you didn't go to uni is a good thing?

It has nothing to do with pessimism. The reality is that only a minuscule number of people can ever become F1 drivers and I'm not particularly talented at driving. It doesn't matter how optimistic I am, the odds are inherently tiny.
I can't stop laughing hahaha. Man, if you want that sort of life then you can keep it. To me it seems like a terrible way to live.

There's a reason that failure is celebrated in Silicon Valley. You're supposed to take something away from it and grow. You're not supposed to crawl into a hole and punish yourself with a shit job for the rest of your life. You're throwing away the opportunity to actually wake up every day and work on something you care about instead of being confined to being a drone.

The second problem with your assertion is that you assume that uni automatically entitles you to a good job and security. Going to uni and attempting to find employment is a risk in itself. Ask any aspiring banker or lawyer.

It has less to do with optimism and more to do with persistence and the right mind set. Maybe I should have qualified my original statement with that.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I don't remember saying that success is automatically guaranteed. Can't be a pop star then be something else that you actually care about Cartman. You just need to actually give a shit about what it is you're doing.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
To me it seems like a terrible way to live.
Acting in a way that maximises your happiness is a terrible way to live. Got it.

There's a reason that failure is celebrated in Silicon Valley. You're supposed to take something away from it and grow.
Having a business that fails is not analogous to embarking upon an unrealistic career path. It doesn't ruin your ability to do other things you enjoy.

You're not supposed to crawl into a hole and punish yourself with a shit job for the rest of your life.
Implying that anything other than my absolute dream job is a shit job.

You're throwing away the opportunity to actually wake up every day and work on something you care about instead of being confined to being a drone.
I'm not "throwing away an "opportunity". I don't have an "opportunity" to become an F1 driver any more than I have the "opportunity" to bang Kate Upton.

The second problem with your assertion is that you assume that uni automatically entitles you to a good job and security.
I never said that. My point is is that if I go to uni, the chances of me getting a job I like after WAYYYY higher than if I try and find a job after spending half my life not getting into F1 and not having any qualifications or skills.

Going to uni and attempting to find employment is a risk in itself. Ask any aspiring banker or lawyer.
bahahah, yeah, becoming a lawyer is remotely as difficult as becoming an F1 driver.

It has less to do with optimism and more to do with persistence and the right mind set. Maybe I should have qualified my original statement with that.
well okay it doesn't matter how your mindset is or how persistent you are, some things are by their inherent nature overwhelmingly unrealistic.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Hahahaha. No worries Brett.

Acting with such negativity and hostility to the remote possibility that maybe you could do something a little better with your life is a bad way to live.

I would have thought doing something you care about everyday as opposed to a robotic job that you are impartial to would increase your happiness.

I don't remember saying that you MUST follow your ABSOLUTE dream, but hey why should a straw man stop you?

In all honesty, I know that my attitude isn't what most people are going to live by. I don't mind and I didn't post my thoughts in an attempt to convert people to my way of thinking. That's just my view on the matter.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
no offence guys but this is a pretty dumb argument who cares just do whatever you want even if it's not the thing you *ultimately* want. as long as you're not trying to find someone to kick the chair out from under you and keep their mouth shut, you're doing ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)