What careers are in high demand? (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I know that the courses and careers we wish to pursue should be ones we feel passionate about, I'm interested in aerospace engineering and despite not making the cut-off i aim to gain entry into the course, however i fear that there are limited positions in aerospace careers. So what careers are in high demand?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can't really predict the employment market in four or five years when you do graduate so... it's not really going to help you, I think.

Roy216

HSC
You can't really predict the employment market in four or five years when you do graduate so... it's not really going to help you, I think.
hmm very true i forgot it will be 4-5 years from now

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Careers in 'high demand' now and that's frequently promoted probably won't be so 'high demand' once you graduate in 4-5 years.

Verify

HSC
Sorry for butting in, but do you think law careers will be in high demand in a few years seeing as it is saturated at the moment?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for butting in, but do you think law careers will be in high demand in a few years seeing as it is saturated at the moment?
Like everything else, there's always demand for top talent (even if only to stop you going to the competition). But if I were you I'd speak to actual law students/grads and find out what they feel their prospects are like.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know that the courses and careers we wish to pursue should be ones we feel passionate about, I'm interested in aerospace engineering and despite not making the cut-off i aim to gain entry into the course, however i fear that there are limited positions in aerospace careers. So what careers are in high demand?
In all fairness here, aerospace engineering isn't going to suddenly boom and have a huge shortage unless there's a catalyst for it which suddenly leads to a sudden need for aerospace engineers. You also need to keep in mind if such a thing were to occur, you would also be competing with other people who have relevant experience and ability to convert their existing skills (e.g. an engineer of some other form).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In all fairness here, aerospace engineering isn't going to suddenly boom and have a huge shortage unless there's a catalyst for it which suddenly leads to a sudden need for aerospace engineers. You also need to keep in mind if such a thing were to occur, you would also be competing with other people who have relevant experience and ability to convert their existing skills (e.g. an engineer of some other form).
That being said, there's always the current push for private aerospace firms to provide and complement the government's contribution to the field. While I can't comment on demand for engineers, I would hazard to guess the market has improved marginally over the past decade.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There are careers which have been in high demand for quite some time and are typically resistant to economic cycles...for example medicine and education.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Medicine has been resistant to economic cycles for many reasons - I believe that they try to maintain the population to doctor ratio to something reasonable, another thing is that people will always get sick and need attention to their illness and probably healthcare too.

I feel that what is advertised as being in demand now will cause more people to enter that field and in say 5 years, it will no longer be in demand.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
education is not in high demand

teaching jobs are hard to find in most places

HSC
marketing will always be in demand as their is always new businesses and consumerism keeps growin and growing

madharris

HSC
N/A
As people have previously stated - anything in the health sector purely because people will always be sick and/or need assistance to get over problems

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
surveying

the lecturer for surveying at my uni said companies keep phoning him asking more graduates

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Medicine has been resistant to economic cycles for many reasons - I believe that they try to maintain the population to doctor ratio to something reasonable, another thing is that people will always get sick and need attention to their illness and probably healthcare too.
Let's be honest, a large factor in it all is the restrictions placed on amount of places in Medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)