What classification system did your old school library use? (1 Viewer)

Ribbon

Hey guys,

I am doing an article for the anu first year law guide on how to use the library (cos it kindof stuffed me trying to figure out the library of congress system when i first started hehe) and was just wondering what kindof classification your old schools library (and town library if you used it) used... dewy decimal (sorted by subject numbers, and then by authors surname) or the library of congress (sorted by subject letters, then by sub-subject numbers, then by authors surname) system.

Thanks for your replies! and for you first year law students - what do you think you'd like to see in a first year law guide?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Just about all libraries use the Dewey Decimal system.

This is from a library super-veteran ... I have a seperate wallet full of all my library cards (11 public library memberships and counting).

Ziff

HSC
N/A
How to use your status as a law student to pick up girls would be at the top of my list... :p

shannonm

HSC
N/A
yeah that would be great but theres a 5 word minimum on his article..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ziff said:
How to use your status as a law student to pick up girls would be at the top of my list... :p
"Law student" is only a status element with school girls and full-time checkout workers. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That may be Library of Congress (I haven't actually seen it myself so I couldn't say). Could it be because it's a Law library (and not for anything else) or do law libraries not have a standard indexation practice?

Ribbon

Asquithian said:
UNSW law would be like

call number

LK/56/R1

or something like that
Sounds like library of congress, only maybe you got it the wrong way around cos law classifications start with K. Most law libraries use moys classification as well, which kindof sub-sorts things depending on if they are primary sources, australian ect.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
"Law student" is only a status element with school girls and full-time checkout workers. :p
Good enough for me :p

omg_a

HSC
my school used the dewy decimal system. argh, don't tell me there's some whole other fandangled way to organise libraries!!!?

.... and in a first year guide, what law exams are like (because from what i've heard they are totally different to any of the exams i did at school ). And what sort of assignments/assessments to expect. erm, that's all i can think of!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)