What commerce majors should I do? (1 Viewer)

Flying

HSC
Hey there,

I'm a first year. I'm doing Arts/Commerce. I know that we don't start doing majors for commerce next year, but nevertheless, I would like to know for once where my time after uni will be going to. I have a couple of questions regarding the major I should choose:

1. Say I want to do a double major in commerce; What would best accompany commercial law?

2. I like the theory behind economics and finance; however would it be advisable to do one of these when I am really not that good at maths? (I received a 67/100 for the HSC general maths and I am also sought of struggling with the basic maths required in ECON111 (which I am currently doing)).

3. Say after uni I want to apply for a position involving commerce and law at a company. Would an interviewer be more likely pick the person who has done Commerce/Laws or Arts/Commerce (with a commercial law major)?

I ask question three because I intend on doing Arts (Anthropology major) / Commerce (commercial law major and second unknown major)

4. Would it be advisable I do commercial law as a major. I never did legal studies in school, have always had a very moderate interest in law and only really saw it as an option in comparison to other majors offered.

Thanks in advance for the advice, it really means a lot.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
1. Commercial law should actually be a major that accompanies something else (like accounting or finance). IMO of course. I don't really see it getting you many jobs on its own.

2. It really depends. If you're willing to learn the maths involved, take MATH123 or ECON131 as a planet unit. Either should bring you up to speed with what's required and they'll also allow you to gauge whether this is the road you want to go down for the rest of your degree. The maths in finance or economics isn't incredibly challenging, but with that being said, it all still requires effort.

3. If you want to get into a law position, you'll need to complete a Bachelor of Laws. A commercial law major won't qualify you to work in the capacity as an expert in the law. Like I mentioned above, I can only really see a commercial law major complementing something else to be honest.

4. You should be fine if you haven't completed legal studies at school. Whether you want to do the major or not, is really your decision. It depends on what you're seeking to get out of it. If you want to work in a law related area, you're better off just transferring into a LLB.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Blizane

HSC
Have you considered Marketing or HR? They would seem to complement the Anthropology major in your Arts degree (and if applying for all these grad jobs has taught me anything, it's that HR seems like a really breezy job haha). And assuming you will be using the Commerce degree as the 'basis' for future job prospects, like Azure said I'm not sure the commercial law major will actually be useful in itself. Unless you end up doing some kind of postgrad law degree/diploma?

And as for economics/finance, they can be a little maths-intensive at times but you can definitely get through it if you put in the work. (enjoying the content helps!) Maybe wait until the end of the year to see if you're still interested in it then?

Well anyway, just my two cents...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
No dont do HR why would you do that for

Flying

HSC
1. Commercial law should actually be a major that accompanies something else (like accounting or finance). IMO of course. I don't really see it getting you many jobs on its own.

2. It really depends. If you're willing to learn the maths involved, take MATH123 or ECON131 as a planet unit. Either should bring you up to speed with what's required and they'll also allow you to gauge whether this is the road you want to go down for the rest of your degree. The maths in finance or economics isn't incredibly challenging, but with that being said, it all still requires effort.

3. If you want to get into a law position, you'll need to complete a Bachelor of Laws. A commercial law major won't qualify you to work in the capacity as an expert in the law. Like I mentioned above, I can only really see a commercial law major complementing something else to be honest.

4. You should be fine if you haven't completed legal studies at school. Whether you want to do the major or not, is really your decision. It depends on what you're seeking to get out of it. If you want to work in a law related area, you're better off just transferring into a LLB.

Hope this helps.
1. True, but the only other majors that seem to be decent ones are HR, finance, economics, decision science, accounting, applied econometrics and marketing. I'd really like to do commercial law and finance or economics; but after doing this current assignment for ECON111 I am really really struggling with it all.

Also,why would MacQ have finance, accounting, economics and marketing as majors when there are other courses dedicated to those? The majors at MacQ seem wishy washy.

2. As I said, the maths required in an assignment I'm doing right now is excruciatingly difficult for me.

3. Why would they have commercial law when an employer and in the general sense of education com/law is better?

4. I would do law, but I probably couldn't cope with the the amount and intensity of the work; also the type of work after graduation.

Have you considered Marketing or HR? They would seem to complement the Anthropology major in your Arts degree (and if applying for all these grad jobs has taught me anything, it's that HR seems like a really breezy job haha). And assuming you will be using the Commerce degree as the 'basis' for future job prospects, like Azure said I'm not sure the commercial law major will actually be useful in itself. Unless you end up doing some kind of postgrad law degree/diploma?

And as for economics/finance, they can be a little maths-intensive at times but you can definitely get through it if you put in the work. (enjoying the content helps!) Maybe wait until the end of the year to see if you're still interested in it then?

Well anyway, just my two cents...
No dont do HR why would you do that for

Yeah. I've always known what I had a passion for, in stuff that was contained in Arts; however, I knew I would have better job prospects if I did commerce. I only ever thought about commerce in a general perspective, never in regards to a particular major. So I figure its better if I narrow what I want to do down.

I've thought about HR. However, its seems incredibly boring due to the bullshit-ness of it and how it isn't really challenging at all. It pays decent, but I don't think I'd ever truly love working in the HR field.

I've also thought about maybe doing, commercial law major and HR major. They would compliment each other in a sense, but I'd only like doing commercial law not HR

In the next post this is more relevant, but I would love to work / immigrate to North America, particularly Canada. The idea of HR really popped into my head when I saw that Canada, as a part of their immigration policy has a HR program, meaning they take preference for those qualified in the HR field and are more likely to grant a working visa to those people.

your career goal?
I don't have a career goal at all. It sounds very gay and immature, but I'd like to work in some stereotypical powerful capitalist conglomerate and for a company where I can live overseas. I would love to work in North America, particularly Canada. I want to earn money, however the fields that relate to my 'strengths' are pretty gay and irrelevant to anywhere I'd like to work. I thought that maybe I could fulfill this idea by doing commercial law, but it seems that doing commercial law in comparison to law/arts makes commercial law less credible, less employable and far less comprehensive.

But yeah, career wise I don't have a clue. I like anthropology, politics and international relations and history but I couldn't see myself actually finding a job for those qualifications, especially in Australia. Those things I am truly passionate about, however there is no future employability for them - there is for commerce related things though.

---

I really do feel 'empty' not knowing my direction in life, I have never had true determination and motivation - but hopefully resolving this will help me greatly. Yes I know that I have a couple of years to think about what I really want to do, but I said that in school. I must decide on something and stick at it, I can't waste time and money.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)