• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What courses are you interested in doing in uni? (1 Viewer)

sheep90

HSC
i'm interested in going to melbourne uni to do bachelor of science (mainly melb just because i want a change of scene)
but i feel as though science isn't really seen as a good degree because it has a lower atar for entry (83-85) (selective school)
but i don't really know what i want to do yet but i'm interested in maybe something with science so...

what do you think of this and what do you want to do?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Atar is not a fucking reflection of how good the degree is. Its just a number determined by supply and demand! Why do so few people know or accept this?

buriza

conviction
HSC
i'm interested in going to melbourne uni to do bachelor of science (mainly melb just because i want a change of scene)
but i feel as though science isn't really seen as a good degree because it has a lower atar for entry (83-85) (selective school)
but i don't really know what i want to do yet but i'm interested in maybe something with science so...

If you want to do a Bachelor of Science, then do a Bachelor of Science. Do not let the expectations of a selective school affect your decision, nor should you let the opinions of others affect your decision either. Ultimately, both are virtually irrelevant.

And as the individual above me said, the ATAR requirement for a course is predominantly based on demand.

xGhanem

HSC
If I achieve the ATAR requirements, I'd really love to do an Adv. Science degree, majoring in physics. Preferably at UNSW.

Hopp

HSC
There are so many degrees that I want to do, urgh. Courses that I'm most interested in are Politics, Philosophy, Law, Physical Geography, Human Geography and Biological Studies. Too many choices.

fatassmcfat

HSC
MEDICINE (true indian) if I dont get in will probably do that thing where I study something else for a year and then do GAMSAT although I wouldnt mind teaching but i think I might do that when im older like 50+ and show my wisdom to all the youths

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Preferably medicine at UWS, UNSW or USYD, however if that doesn't work I wouldn't mind going into chemical engineer or some arts degree to find myself :)

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A

dim-sims

HSC
For a very long time I've wanted to do journalism (so really a communications degree majoring in journalism) but I have toyed with the idea of maybe getting into public relations or business.

Will probably just end up doing journalism though. Hopefully there won't be any regrets.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
I'd love to do adv. science majoring in astrophysics or maybe actuary. Depends on how I go with maths this year lol

Simran-

HSC
I had a clear goal of the degree I wanted to do which was Law/Intl and Global studies at USYD or Law/Intl Studies at UNSW. But now I'm also contemplating on whether to do Law and Commerce at USYD/UNSW.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

The cut off is low 90s at UMELB (unless you are rural), and you shouldn't dictate what you want to do by the cut off points.
Also you could always do Adv Sci anywhere in NSW if you wanted something 'higher cut off' desperately.

ATAR points are never wasted. If your number #1 course/location is 60 and you got a 99-why would you do something else you don't even like? Silly.

Some degrees like Arts/Science etc. get ragged on a bit because there's no specific job it leads to. It's not like Bach of Optom->you become Optom, or bach of pharmacy->pharmacist/pharmacy design etc. Rather it teaches you a set of skills, has more breadth in what you can do (which is great because most people discover their niche in these courses, one of my majors I didn't even do in yr 11/12 or was going to do at uni) and has so many possibilities on graduation. I feel like people have a too mono-lens on this sometimes, if all that's gonna employ you is the name on your testamur, you're doing uni/employability wrong.

suika

HSC
Knowing I'd probably won't get into law, I want to do a Bachelor of Commerce/Arts at UNSW or just get into Media.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Medicine at UNSW/UWS

if not, debating between USYD physiotherapy or UNSW medical science as a graduate/undergrad pathway into med

duckie06

HSC
wanted to do med, realized ill never make it. might give it a shot anyway, idk. Not going all out like doing if i dont make it like doing med science or whatever.

was thinking of bachelor of science/business and see if i wanna transfer from there or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)